TableStyles > PatternedRows.css: columns will not resize

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
Yaacov
Propeller Head

TableStyles > PatternedRows.css: columns will not resize

Post by Yaacov »

I am new to Flare and I am using Flare 11:
I am trying to customize the column widths of a two column table in the 'print' and 'non-print' medium. Because this table will be used multiple time, I want to make these change in the table style PatternedRows.css. But every time I build and view the table, the columns have the same width (the width I've set for the first column).
What am I doing wrong?
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: TableStyles > PatternedRows.css: columns will not resize

Post by SteveS »

Perhaps the first thing to remember is the print media is not intended for print output (such as a pdf or Word document) but to format the page when printed from a web based output...

A common mistake when working with styles in Flare is inadvertently changing the style for a specific media, rather than the default media. You will only see the changes made to media when you build the project and access output to which the media is applied.

If you are setting column widths explicitly, make sure the tables auto-width properties have not been set to 'window'.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by SteveS »

...and welcome to the forums! :D
Steve
Yaacov
Propeller Head

Post by Yaacov »

Hi Steve,

Thank for the welcome.
So if 'print media' is for printing web based output, then how do I format the content for PDF output?

Yaacov
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by SteveS »

The short answer is the default media on your stylesheet...

Of course, its not as easy as that! If you are only going to create print its not an issue, but if you are going to create several outputs its time for a bit of planning. I've been lucky in that the basic format of our web and print outputs has been much the same and I've been able to create the different styles on the main style sheet (different heading decorations, styles that force page breaks etc). If I have different versions of the same element (ie a heading that starts on a new page for print) I can repeat the text, apply the distinct format to one or other, and use conditional tags to control output.

I'd suggest you use the new project wizard to create a sample project using one of the pdf templates. That will allow you to play around and see what works for you.

HTH
Steve