Is there a Flare 12 Installation Guide?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
skwpt
Propeller Head

Is there a Flare 12 Installation Guide?

Post by skwpt »

If so, I can't find it here: http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare12/Content/Home.htm

Specifically, I am trying to find out what version of .NET I can (must) run on Windows 10.
regedit indicates my current version is 4.0.

The Flare 12 System Requirements page says Windows 10 is supported (which I have as my test environment) but all of the .NET System Requirements pages say only Windows 8, 8.1 and then the Win Servers.

ETA: What kind of horrible things will happen using an outdated version of .NET?
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Is there a Flare 12 Installation Guide?

Post by SteveS »

The full requirements are listed at http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/Fl ... ements.htm.

You need 4.5.1.

The framework is provided by Microsoft, it provides the 'tools' that allow your machine 'to do things'.

In essence, if you are not running the required DotNet Framework you will find your machine might do some funky things in Flare (or any other program that requires a specific version of the framework). Various features won't work as expected, and it will be the little things that end up driving you mad!
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

IIRC Win 10 comes with 4.5.x already installed or it is at least a windows component you can install from the Programs settings, so you should be all set. If the .NEt runtime is part of the OS then you need to use the Windows components settings to enable it, the standalone or web installers will fail. Although I never ran into the issue, I'd assume that Flare is smart enough to check for the installed version of the runtime and throw up a message if the needed version is not available.
skwpt
Propeller Head

Post by skwpt »

Thanks, Steve and Ramon.

I don't recall Flare 12 displaying a message about .NET when I installed it, so I was a little surprised to see only version 4.0 installed (via a peek at the registry).

I downloaded 4.5.1 but I didn't install it yet. It looks like I should install .NET 4.5 instead, which I .

Since Windows 10 doesn't seem to allow users to decide which bits to install in an update, I was surprised that .NET wasn't on the most recent version.