V12 lags when adding images to older projects

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
phebert
Propeller Head

V12 lags when adding images to older projects

Post by phebert »

Hello,

This may not be the correct forum but I am at a loss. I am currently using v12 and have noticed a great deal of latency when adding images. It takes over a minute to add an image. But why are you posting here you may ask? Fair question. What I have noticed is that the projects that were created in previous versions of Flare, for instance my main project was created in v8, seem to suffer the most. When I create a new project in v12, I have no trouble adding images. I have previously worked with Support and they couldn't duplicate my experience and the IT team here can't find any reason for it.

I also have trouble when generating a pdf target, the output file name in the produced file does not update consistently to the name indicated in the target.

When I upgraded to v12, I launched the app then opened the projects. I didn't perform any sort of import, was that incorrect? Admittedly, I'm grasping at straws here but this is the only thing I've noticed that could be playing in to this. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar?
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: V12 lags when adding images to older projects

Post by devjoe »

Are the projects in question huge? Do you have 3000 files in the same folder or something like that?

I don't know what is happening with your PDF target. I have never had it generate a PDF to a name other than the one I specify. How does the name of the PDF you get differ from what you specified?

You are correct that there is no specific updating of projects.
phebert
Propeller Head

Post by phebert »

Hello!

My projects are fairly hefty, they're help menus for a wholesale and point of sale/accounting applications. When I worked with MadCap support, they used one of my projects, duplicated my PC set up but had no trouble which throws doubt on the issue of projects being created in earlier versions. Although the project I sent them was created in v11. But it's the only thing I can point to as a possible cause. The time of a minute plus to add an image is become problematic since I'm generate release notes, generally 40+ enhancements, every two weeks or so and I am falling behind on other projects because at minimum, if I add just 1 image per release note, including creating the screenshot, I budget 5 minutes each and the total time is approaching unacceptable. When I use the Insert ribbon or use ctrl g, my screen blacks out and then I get a not responding message in the Flare title bar.

The output file name will be changed in the target but when I check the generated file, the file name is what was the previous file name in the output file field. There are multiple code branches for these applications, but the same application, and the preference for release notes are pdf file formats. So, I'll create release notes for code branch abc, name the output file abc, generate the target then create release notes for code branch efg, I change the output file name to efg and generate the target but when I check the file, the file name says abc and has overwritten the correct abc file but the content within the pdf is release notes for efg. I now budget time to double check every target I generate to be sure that file names and content matches.

These are small problems for sure, but they increase the time for generating or creating anything in Flare. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

If you're using source control, perhaps your anti-virus is interfering when it scans each file. I forget the details as it was a long time ago, but I think our IT guys did something like stopped the AV scanning on check-in, or possibly check-out, I forget which way around. Anyway, something to double-check in the absence of any other suggestions.
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

Oh, make sure that you finish typing (leave the field by pressing tab or enter) and save before you generate.
But you should just create a separate target for each version of the manual you are creating. Then you can set conditions, file names, and such in each target and not worry about changing them.
phebert
Propeller Head

Post by phebert »

Hello devjoe,

I appreciate the suggestion of multiple targets. What I currently have set up is one PDF target for my release notes then multiple TOCs, one TOC for each code branch, then I update the target with the needed TOC, variables and output file name in the Target. It seems like a lot of additional set up for an application that is labeled as single source.

Psider,

Thanks for the suggestion of checking on virus scan. Since I am retrieving images from a network drive, there may be a scan happening on a server so I'm unaware of it.
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

phebert wrote:Since I am retrieving images from a network drive, there may be a scan happening on a server so I'm unaware of it.
The network drive is the problem. Even fast networks are way slower than local files. Work with your project locally. If you are sharing files with others, set up some kind of source control, where you will check out a local copy of the project to work with and check your changes back in when done.