Getting Started

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
Arp1ta
Jr. Propeller Head

Getting Started

Post by Arp1ta »

Hi All,
I am really new to Madcap Flare and would like some pointers to get me started. I have to create a knowledge base for my company's product that should be available on web and mobile/tablet mediums (no-print). We do have an existing Knowledge Base, created by some previous writer. However, since this Knowledge Base is based on previous styles and is rather not likeable by most, I am expected to create a new one taking the content from the exiting. I have never used Flare before and I am confused on how best to start. I have downloaded the exiting Knowledge Base template from Resources on the Madcap Software website; but super confused on how I can tweak it to fit my requirement. I do have an image of how I would like the Knowledge Base to appear, but not sure how to execute it on Flare.
Can someone help? Also, are there any other locations for other templates that I can download.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Arpita
GregStenhouse
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Getting Started

Post by GregStenhouse »

Have you tried working through the tutorial? http://docs.madcapsoftware.com/FlareV12 ... torial.pdf That takes you though a pre-installed template called San Diego, and should be a good primer as to how Flare works.

It sounds to me like you'll need to work backwards (learn about targets, skins and CSS), choose an output that suits your knowledge base best (possibly HTML5 tri-pane or top nav) - and then start converting/copying across your old content into topics and TOC entries from there. Factory templates are pre-installed and available from the New Project wizard. I'm not aware of any other online resource with templates you can start with, although you could get some inspiration and ideas here: http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/ ... wcase.aspx

Good luck! Let us know if you have any questions along the way.

Cheers
Greg
Arp1ta
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Arp1ta »

Thanks Greg....the tutorial was quite helpful in knowing the basics. I really loved the HTML 5 top navigation output that I checked on the customer showcase. Is there a ready to use skin available for the same that I can tweak to my requirement and generate the output. I am looking at only online output that should be compatible to open in mobile too.

Thanks again for all your help.
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Feebeegeebee »

Is there a ready to use skin available for the same that I can tweak to my requirement and generate the output.
Within Flare, if you go to the Project Organizer, click on the Skins folder and right-click you will get the option to Add a skin.

You'll find an "HTML5 - Top Navigation" template in the list of those available. HTML5 Top Navigation skins are always enabled for responsive output.

Regards,
Feebeegeebee
-----------------------------------------------------
Using Flare 2022 on Windows 11 (64-bit)
-----------------------------------------------------