Second copy of Flare on laptop?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
Perrorist
Propeller Head

Second copy of Flare on laptop?

Post by Perrorist »

Is it possible within the terms of the licence to have a second copy on a laptop for alternate use?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Second copy of Flare on laptop?

Post by RamonS »

As far as I know, yes, but you cannot use the Flare installs at the same time. Best is to contact MadCap and confirm.
Perrorist
Propeller Head

Post by Perrorist »

Okay, will do. Thanks, Ramon.
Perrorist
Propeller Head

Post by Perrorist »

Yes, I can have a second copy, provided only one is in use at any one time. Excellent!
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Techno »

I was going to post a question here, but this may well be a good place.

First, you are legally allowed to have Flare on two systems for your own use, such as a desktop at the office, and a laptop to travel with. However, you are specifically NOT allowed to have the two running on the same Domain.

BUT - and it's a very big BUT - If your laptop is set up such that you can access your office domain when in the office, you may have mega-problems.

It has taken quite a few weeks with Madcap software support to figure all this out.

Both my systems are Windows 10 Professional, and both have the latest Flare installed. Flare is also run with connection to a GIT server. At home on the laptop, even though I am not running the VPN to the office, Flare will not activate.

This all started when I upgraded my office PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

It seems that the root cause is the fact that the laptop, while a member of the office domain, thinks it is still on the Domain when at home, and it is not even VPN'd to the office.

If a new LOCAL user is set up, all runs as it should, and it will activate as expected.

It's a messy situation, especially if I wish to check e-mail on our Exchange Server.

I have to say that I much prefer the way Design Science deal with this. With a single-user license, the same rules apply. PC and Laptop. However they check to see if their software is actually RUNNING elsewhere on the Domain.

Has anyone else met this problem, and how was it resolved?
George
George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd., U.K.
Perrorist
Propeller Head

Post by Perrorist »

My laptop copy runs on the same domain as the desktop PC. I've not tried to run both at the same time, as I don't need to and it violates the licence anyway.