Unable to build

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
JBerwickHRB
Jr. Propeller Head

Unable to build

Post by JBerwickHRB »

I'm a first time user of Flare and I've already encountered a problem that's left me stymied. In the Project ribbon, the Build Primary, View Primary, and Publish Primary icons are all greyed out. When I attempt to Build, the status reverts to "Terminated" immediately. I've consulted with a co-worker who also just received access to Flare and they are able to build without issue. I'm not exactly sure how to go about troubleshooting this issue so any help from the community would certainly be appreciated.
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Unable to build

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi,

Which is the Flare version you are using?
Do you see that behaviour in any project? Please try it with one based upon a sample from MadCap.
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

It's possible you haven't actually defined one of the targets in your project as the primary.

In the Project Explorer open the Targets folder, right-click the target you want to be the primary and on the menu click Make Primary.
Those buttons should now be available. (I have to admit though, I can't remember the last time I used the Project tab of the ribbon, as all the commands are generally more readily available in other places.)

And welcome to Flare and the forums! :lol:
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
JBerwickHRB
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by JBerwickHRB »

SKamprowski wrote:Hi,

Which is the Flare version you are using?
Do you see that behaviour in any project? Please try it with one based upon a sample from MadCap.
Yes, this behaviour occurs regardless if I choose an Empty template or one of the samples. I received a number of troubleshooting options from MadCap support - if any of them help to identify the cause of the issue I'll be sure to provide the salient details in this thread.
JBerwickHRB
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by JBerwickHRB »

**Update: Rookie mistake. My destination directory was, for some reason, hidden. This prevented the build process from completing properly. If anyone experiences this issue after installing Flare, I recommend taking a few seconds and making sure that your directories are NOT set to Hidden. To do this:

1. Locate the directory folder.
2. Right click the directory folder and select Properties.
3. In the Attributes section of the General tab, de-select the Hidden checkbox.