Flare 2017 r2 on which Windows 10 flavor?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
skwpt
Propeller Head

Flare 2017 r2 on which Windows 10 flavor?

Post by skwpt »

The Flare System Requirements page says Windows 10. So I hopped over to the MS website and was confronted with several 10 flavors from which to choose:

Do I install Home or Pro? Anniversary Update or Creators Update?

I just want to make sure that the version of Windows I install will let me push my changes to a remote Git server over VPN.

It might be worth mentioning that I am using a MacBook Pro. I installed Parallels Desktop 12 and need to get Windows onto that (and then Flare).

(I have been successfully running Flare on a Mac for the last 2 years, but that computer died and the Windows 8.1 disk was good for only one motherboard.)
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Flare 2017 r2 on which Windows 10 flavor?

Post by atomdocs »

I'm running Flare on Windows 10 Home. I think that anything that runs on Home will run on Pro. The updates you mention are system updates that are pushed out online by MS. They are not platforms as such, so don't worry about them. When you install Win10, you'll get applicable updates pushed to you. This won't affect your ability to run Flare. Your choice is really between Home or Pro: Pro just adds some business-oriented tools to the platform, such as domain networking tools and encryption. If you are a single-seat freelancer, I expect Home will suffice. If you are in a team in an office with a Windows network, you probably need Pro.

I can't answer for running Win10 on Parallels Desktop, or for Git.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
skwpt
Propeller Head

Post by skwpt »

Thanks. I'll get Home, since it is $100 cheaper, and I am literally using Windows only to run Flare!

I can't wait to get it all up and running. My new laptop feels nekkid.
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Creator's update is the most current release, Anniversary update is the one before. Eventually, you will have to upgrade to Creator's or whatever ends up to be recent at that point.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

And, in addition to Ramon's comments, the Pro version is mainly advanced network support (ie domains) over the home version. If you don't have advanced networking needs or remote into your machine (and there's ways around that) you'll probably get away with the home version.

The only other gotcha is 32 or 64 bit versions. Go 64 bit...
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
skwpt
Propeller Head

Post by skwpt »

Thanks, all. Choosing a Windows edition momentarily felt like choosing a Linux flavor.
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

It's not so much Windows as making sure you have the correct version of the .net framework.

If you make sure automatic updates are on, or check for updates on a regular basis, you should be OK.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

skwpt wrote:Thanks, all. Choosing a Windows edition momentarily felt like choosing a Linux flavor.
As with Linux, all Windows 10 versions kinda suck one way or the other...and no, I'm not advocating for MacOS. :lol:
skwpt
Propeller Head

Post by skwpt »

RamonS wrote:
skwpt wrote:Thanks, all. Choosing a Windows edition momentarily felt like choosing a Linux flavor.
As with Linux, all Windows 10 versions kinda suck one way or the other...and no, I'm not advocating for MacOS. :lol:
I'll never go back, now that I know how easy it is to run Flare on a VM. :mrgreen:

Sadly, my upcoming job does not use Flare (though I did get a MacBook), so I will have to be very persuasive. I cant imagine writing enterprise documentation with a tool that doesn't support variables or snippets or ...