How to import existing Flare project into new Flare instance

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
skwpt
Propeller Head

How to import existing Flare project into new Flare instance

Post by skwpt »

On my second Flare instance (on my personal laptop), I want to import my existing Flare project so I can experiment while I am on vacation. I won't have access to the source control repository while I am away, but I don't think I should need it (especially as I don't intend to check in any of the stuff I do to our Git server.)

Before I went on PTO, I used the Project ribbon to Export Project. I also zipped up the project for good measure. I thought the import would be easy. Not so.

In Flare (2017 r2), I started the New Project wizard.
In Project folder field, I navigated to the folder that contains the exported flprj file.
(I did not bind to source control--no access, anyway.)
I selected "New from existing" and navigated to the source flprj file.

Instead of importing my project, I got the Flare starter package.
When I closed that unwanted project, the Import option in the Project ribbon is dimmed.

Flare Online Help contains numerous topics about importing non-Flare content into Flare, but I can't find details on importing an existing Flare project. I don't want to import Flare files--I want the whole project--with all of the skins, master pages, page layouts, and CSS. And I don't currently have access to the source control repos.

What am I doing wrong?
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: How to import existing Flare project into new Flare inst

Post by Nita Beck »

Don't think of this as importing a project or starting a new project. Rather, you just want to open an existing project, albeit one that has been zipped.

If you used your first instance of Flare to zip the project, then your second instance of Flare knows how to unzip the project. Start up the second instance of Flare and use the Open command. Where you see the file type, change it to .flprjzip and then navigate to where you have stored the zip file. Flare will ask you where you want to unzip the project to. Just follow the prompts. (NOTE: Unless when you originally zipped the project you told Flare to remove the binding information from the zipped project, Flare will think the unzipped project is bound to source control. Because you say you just want to play with the project, you can go to the Project Properties > Source Control tab and unbind it.)

If you didn't use Flare to zip the project but just some regular zip program, then just extract all the files as you would any other zipped file. Next, I suggest you delete the Analyzer, Output, and Project\Users folder. Then open this project just as you would any other Flare project. (The NOTE above generally applies here too as you would have zipped up the binding info with the project.)

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
skwpt
Propeller Head

Re: How to import existing Flare project into new Flare inst

Post by skwpt »

Thanks, Nita, my issue was resolved in less than one minute!

(I did remember to unbind before zipping ... yet I know my "commit finger" will be itching like crazy. I'll have to soak it in G&Ts all week.)