ISO Keyboard Shortcut to Insert Styles (solved!)

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
ArdisRamey
Propeller Head

ISO Keyboard Shortcut to Insert Styles (solved!)

Post by ArdisRamey »

While typing, I’m looking for a keyboard shortcut that will automatically allow me to insert a specific style so that I can keep typing. Currently, the only option available appears to be to stop typing, navigate to the Styles section of the Home ribbon, click on the Style dropdown, make my selection, and resume typing.

There must be a better way!

As an XMetaL user for many years, I’m used to using (CTRL+CAPS) to bring up a shortcut menu of the styles (elements) that are available (then selecting my intended from that list) allowing for an uninterrupted workflow. Surely MadCap’s Flare offers a similar uninterrupted solution. Can anyone help me discover it?
Last edited by ArdisRamey on Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: ISO Keyboard Shortcut to Insert Styles

Post by Nita Beck »

Welcome to the forums! :)

Try the Style Picker (Ctrl + Shift + H) and then start typing the first couple of letters of the style you want to apply.

Regarding all Flare's keyboard shortcuts, they are documented at https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... rtcuts.htm or as a printable cheat sheet at http://docs.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... tSheet.pdf.

You might also be interested in creating custom keyboard shortcuts: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... t-Keys.htm

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
ArdisRamey
Propeller Head

Post by ArdisRamey »

Thanks, Nita! I'd not seen that list of keyboard shortcuts (only the list within the tool itself), but even knowing what the answer was it still took me EFFORT to find mention of it in the list you linked. So much of the presentation of this kind of information feels counter-intuitive, it's really going to take some time to adjust to! I'm sure it becomes second-nature eventually.

That's why this forum is so invaluable to those of us new to Flare. Thank you so much for your help.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I also have created my own keyboard shortcut doc, which I happily share with the Flare community. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll email it to you. Not to brag, but I think my doc is better organized than MadCap's. Also, are you running Flare on a native Windows machine or on a virtual machine on a Mac? I have two versions of the doc, one for each type of keyboard. (American keyboards, BTW...)

Also, as a newbie, you might find the LinkedIn group called Users of MadCap Flare helpful (https://www.linkedin.com/groups/86373. Plus, there is a private Slack community dedicated to Flare; it's a collaboration of MadCap and its user community. I'm an admin and so can send you an invitation. For that, I'd also like to know where you are generally located so that I can put you in the closest "locale" channel.

There is NO obligation to follow the LinkedIn group or the Slack community. I offer them only as other places where Flare users hang out.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
ArdisRamey
Propeller Head

Post by ArdisRamey »

Nita, these resources are amazing! Thank you for sharing them.

I'll send you a PM with my contact information!
ArdisRamey
Propeller Head

Post by ArdisRamey »

Nita, I've tried your Style Picker shortcut and it doesn't seem to be working for me.

Is there any reason you can think of that I might hit (Ctrl + Shift + H) and not see anything happen?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

ArdisRamey wrote:Nita, I've tried your Style Picker shortcut and it doesn't seem to be working for me.

Is there any reason you can think of that I might hit (Ctrl + Shift + H) and not see anything happen?
Have confirmed it works for me. I put the cursor inside a block and then pressed Ctrl+Shift+H and the Style Picker popped up.

Maybe it's a difference of keyboards (i.e., for a language other than English)? I'm just guessing.
Nita
ArdisRamey
Propeller Head

Post by ArdisRamey »

I've noticed that many features are restricted and only available in the XML Editor, however I only author using the Text Editor. Could it be that this, too, is just only available from within the XML Editor?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

ArdisRamey wrote:I've noticed that many features are restricted and only available in the XML Editor, however I only author using the Text Editor. Could it be that this, too, is just only available from within the XML Editor?
Actually, I think that's it! There are many shortcuts that work only in the XML Editor. I'm not sure where you'd find an exhaustive list of which shortcuts are "global" and while are for the XML Editor only.
Nita