Proxy server woes

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
AlanKearns
Sr. Propeller Head

Proxy server woes

Post by AlanKearns »

I'm finding I'm being prompted for proxy credentials every time I start Flare 2018 or build output. Presumably because Flare 2018 expects the proxy server to be a single, static thing. But here, it seems we use something called 'the PAC file method' which load-balances servers, so that the proxy server doesn't stay constant. So every time I work in Flare, it is constantly re-asking for authorisation.

I think it comes down to Flare not being 'proxy aware' enough to read the browser settings to use this PAC file, the way I'm told most applications can.

Any suggestions would be welcome, otherwise could Madcap think about supporting load-balanced networks?

Best regards
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Proxy server woes

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Have you just purchased Flare recently? Or do you have a support package? In either case drop a line to your MadCap sales person. If you're new to the product you automatically get support.

If not, add a bug (use the link in my footer) and see if you get a response that way.

Good luck.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
AlanKearns
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Proxy server woes

Post by AlanKearns »

If only Accounts hadn't mucked up the annual service contract payment and let it lapse! I have to wait for them to sort it out with Madcap before I can try Madcap Support direct.

I did originally get them to turn the prompts off (this whole thing only started with the 2018 version - probably because we changed the proxy server method after v12 was activated) but it only survives a couple of days before the load got rebalanced and I was back to square one.

What with the poor performance over networks, this stuff, the complexity of installing updates in managed environments and the way the documentation presumes the user does all the installation, I sometimes think Madcap think its users mostly self-administrate, when they are more likely to be users in corporate setups.