Moving Flare+license to new computer

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Moving Flare+license to new computer

Post by Cecily »

I have Flare 2018 r2 on Windows 10 and had just downloaded SetupMadCapFlare_2019.exe when I was told I was getting a new PC today.
Is this the correct procedure?

1. Save and zip everything on old PC.
2. Take screenshots of custom colors, as they might not copy over?
3. In Flare on old PC, Help > Deactivate Product, so my license is available on new PC.
3. Install Flare on new PC - but where from/how? I presume I can't just run SetupMadCapFlare_2019.exe, so do I do the free 30 day trial, and then Help > Register Product with my existing license key?
4. Anything else? An old topic mentions custom fonts, VSS and Ghostscript (which I don't use, but may copy over more seamlessly than six years ago).

The most recent thread I could find is almost six years old, so I thought it OK to start afresh (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17242&p=91142&hilit ... ate#p91142).
"Books are a narcotic." (Franz Kafka)
I wonder what he'd say about help files?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Moving Flare+license to new computer

Post by RamonS »

You got the procedure down...that is how I would do it. Key is unregistering on one box before registering on the other.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Moving Flare+license to new computer

Post by Nita Beck »

Cecily wrote: 3. Install Flare on new PC - but where from/how? I presume I can't just run SetupMadCapFlare_2019.exe, so do I do the free 30 day trial, and then Help > Register Product with my existing license key?
Yes, run the setup exe to install. Then, the first time you start up Flare 2019, you'll be promoted to EITHER enter a license key or run Flare in trial mode. Just enter the same license key that you deactivate on the old machine and then continue with activating that key. It's up to you if you want to register or not. Registering doesn't have anything to do with the license key.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!