Salesforce Connect / Flare trial installation order

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
Colum
Propeller Head

Salesforce Connect / Flare trial installation order

Post by Colum »

From what I've seen, it looks like if you are using the Salesforce Connect add on with Flare, you must have installed Salesforce Connect prior to installing Flare. Is this correct? If so, it doesn't seem like you can download a trial of Salesforce Connect.

Ultimately what I'd like to do is install the Flare trial, get that all setup and configured the way we want, import the content, and finally publish to Salesforce. But if I can't download a Salesforce Connect trial, that workflow goes out of the window. Would I have to uninstall the trail version of Flare, install the full Salesforce Connect addon, and then reinstall Flare using the custom install option?

Many thanks for any insights.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: Salesforce Connect / Flare trial installation order

Post by Psider »

I tried out Flare's integration when it first came out. I don't think I installed anything separately, but there might be a setting in the installer you need to make sure you select? Select Custom and see if there's an option there.
Colum
Propeller Head

Post by Colum »

Thanks Psider. I know the Flare installer has an option to select the Salesforce Connect addon, and that the Salesforce Connect must be installed before Flare. I assume the option to select the Salesforce Connect addon isn't available unless to do this, though I may be wrong.

What I really need to know if whether it is possible to get a trial of the Salesforce Connect addon. Could I just download it and then install Flare, then once I've got the activation code activate Flare. I guess what I'm asking is whether there is a trial of Salesforce Connect at all, or whether it is all tied into Flare. In effect if you've got Flare with the Salesforce Connect addon (regardless of whether you have the trial or activated licence) you can continue to publish to Salesforce. If you haven't, you can't.

Does that make sense?
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

Is the issue that you already have Flare, so you don't know how to trial Salesforce Connect because there might be a requirement to install Salesforce Connect first?

I can't offer any firsthand advice on that, but it seems odd that you couldn't use Salesforce Connect with an existing installation. So I'd probably try the installer and see if I can just install the Salesforce Connect component. If not, I'd do Flare and Salesforce Connect and hope it just installed the components it didn't find. And in both cases hope Connect works.

Or if I was less of a risk-taker, I'd email Madcap (via support if I had a maintenance plan, or via Sales if not). :P
Colum
Propeller Head

Post by Colum »

That's exactly right Psider. I'll try and contact Sales.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

Good luck! let us know how it goes.
Colum
Propeller Head

Post by Colum »

I've had it confirmed from Madcap that the Salesforce Connect add on is part of the Flare install. It does not have a separate download. In their words:
You can try MadCap Connect for Salesforce with the trial of Flare. It is installed along with Flare, and you can activate the 30 day trial for the connector when you are ready to test. It is used in the Destination file. In the Destination file, click in the "Type" drop-down field in the Destination Editor, and select MadCap Connect for Salesforce. At this point you can activate it and test.
Colum
Propeller Head

Post by Colum »

If anyone else come across the same issue, I've posted an update on my blog (apologies for the plug) with links to relevant Madcap documentation, together with specifics of what to do when installing the trial. See https://www.notcolin.co.uk/2019/08/madc ... nnect.html