A Gmail Help Experience

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
ccfisher76
Propeller Head

A Gmail Help Experience

Post by ccfisher76 »

We are designing a new web-based product, and we need to implement help directly into the product. I've been relying on our application designer to tell me what he wants. He really likes the Web help design of Gmail (see below):
gmailhelp.png
I'm new to Flare, but I'm not new to content-sensitive help and single-sourcing (using HelpAndManual). My quickest question is: Of all the factory template skins, which once would be closest to this design to start working with, and then go from there? Or does someone know of a good, basic skin that looks like the one above?
factorytemplates.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: A Gmail Help Experience

Post by NorthEast »

I'd suggest using HTML5 target - either Top Navigation or Side Navigation. As the names suggest, the choice is really down to whether you want the navigation menu at the top, or the side. Saying that, you could actually switch off the navigation menu altogether (in the skin), and just use a menu proxy for navigation (HTML5 Component - Menu).
Both are responsive skins, so check how they look in Tablet/Mobile view (smaller screens), as they look different to Desktop (large screen).

You can preview MadCap's template projects, if you need an idea of what the Top Nav and Side Nav skins looks like:
https://www.madcapsoftware.com/download ... templates/

I wouldn't recommend HTML5 Tripane, as it's an old skin design which is less flexible, and is largely redundant now that there is Side Nav.

Definitely do not use WebHelp or WebHelp Mobile, as these are very old and will probably be phased-out of Flare soon.
ccfisher76
Propeller Head

Re: A Gmail Help Experience

Post by ccfisher76 »

Thanks for your response! After I wrote this question, I realized it wouldn't be too hard to create if I mapped it right in the Master page. Excited to try it out!