XML editor - missing text

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
citizen
Jr. Propeller Head

XML editor - missing text

Post by citizen »

Hello

This has started recently, so wondering if I inadvertently made a change somewhere -

Text is no longer showing in the XML Editor but it shows in text editor and preview.

WTF... it's taking me hours to input 1 line of copy.. HELP PLEASE!!!
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: XML editor - missing text

Post by doloremipsum »

Is this only happening for certain topics, or for everything?

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is that you might have done something weird with the styles. I find that when I play with the positioning of elements using CSS (e.g. using position: absolute to place a div right at the bottom of a PDF page), that element might no longer be displayed in the XML editor (because I've placed it outside the screen somewhere).

So, have you set any positions for e.g. the <body> tag? Or messed with styles in some other way that might be hiding the text?

If not, I guess the next thing to check is whether this still happens with a brand new blank project. If so, it might be something weird with your installation or registry.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: XML editor - missing text

Post by Feebeegeebee »

Have you upgraded to Flare 2020 by any chance...?

In the latest version, they have added the Collapsing and Expanding text tags in the XML Editor "feature". (https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... e-Tags.htm)
So, if you have inadvertently clicked to the left of your heading, paragraph, etc. in the XML Editor, the text is hidden.

Why this is in any way useful as a "feature" is baffling. It is just likely to cause support issues, as people wonder where their text has disappeared to.
At a tab/window level, you can disable this via the icon that looks like an eye at the bottom of the Text Editor.
However, I'm intending to request that Madcap provide the option to switch it off altogether, as it's just annoying!
Why this was added when there are so many outstanding bugs that need fixing, I don't know...

Regards,
Feebeegeebee
-----------------------------------------------------
Using Flare 2022 on Windows 11 (64-bit)
-----------------------------------------------------