Installing Flare 3.1 for multiple users (Lab environment)

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
powellbc
Jr. Propeller Head

Installing Flare 3.1 for multiple users (Lab environment)

Post by powellbc »

I have installed Flare 3.1 in a computer lab environment, and entered the product key under an administrative account. However, the student users are being prompted to enter a key when they launch the program. These students users are authenticating against our campus Active Directory and as you might guess are not administrative users. How can I work around this?

The machines all have Windows XP SP2.

Bryan
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Installing Flare 3.1 for multiple users (Lab environment)

Post by RamonS »

Each copy that runs concurrently needs its own license. So if you have one license you can install Flare on 30 PCs and use it from any of the 30 PCs, but not at the same time. You can always only use one. Flare itself checks against a licensing server and makes sure that only one license is in use at a time. If it finds that the previously specified license is already in use then it asks for a new license. That is my guess.
If that is indeed so, I recommend talking directly to MadCap to find a remedy of the problem. I cannot speak for them and don't want to put out any expectations.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

When you install Flare you are given the Option of Install for all users, Also if you are using Roaming Profiles, Flare will still want to be actiaved, as it not see the key on the local machime.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
powellbc
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by powellbc »

I did actually install it for all users. We are not using roaming profiles. Each unique student who logs into the machine is prompted for the key which is not a workable solution, obviously. Shouldn't is have been activated when I installed it?

We have 5 licenses and it is installed on 5 machines.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Were the local accounts for the students present when you installed Flare? If the students logged in after the Flare install it may just be that the license key is not copied into their portion of the registry. I doubt Windows does that for Flare. I'd try again reinstalling Flare for all Users now that the students logged in and try again. If that works thereafter it is one more reason not to use the registry for anything. The registry is evil and only there to cause trouble.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

powellbc wrote:I did actually install it for all users. We are not using roaming profiles. Each unique student who logs into the machine is prompted for the key which is not a workable solution, obviously. Shouldn't is have been activated when I installed it?

Hi powelbc,

Welcome to the forums.

I agree, when you install Flare (even if you install it for all users) you still have to validate the software the first time its used for each user. I suggest yo lodge a bug report here
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Rozzano
Propeller Head

Post by Rozzano »

If you have 5 licenses you should have 5 unique license keys, correct? Was a unique license key assigned to each of the 5 computers during Flare's initial startup?
powellbc
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by powellbc »

Rozzano wrote:
If you have 5 licenses you should have 5 unique license keys, correct? Was a unique license key assigned to each of the 5 computers during Flare's initial startup?
Yes, absolutely.

To respond to RamonS above, the accounts were not resident on the machine before it was installed as they are generated on the fly as they authenticate through our Active Directory. My assumption is Flare is seen mainly as a professional tool and not an instructional tool as in my case (it's a technical writing lab).

Thanks everyone for their responses. It appears I will have to have the students log in with a local account to use it.