How do I check my license key for Flare?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
merlinhu
Jr. Propeller Head

How do I check my license key for Flare?

Post by merlinhu »

Our IS department just received a letter from Flare asking us to renew one license, but since we have already bought several licenses and I'm not sure if mine is the one that should be renewed, so I was wondering where can I find the license key that I'm using on my machine?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: How do I check my license key for Flare?

Post by NorthEast »

I'm not aware of a way to find out the key in Flare. If you have a maintenance plan, you should be able to check who the licence belongs to using the maintenance key. This key is usually (but not always!) included in emails for orders, renewals, or upgrade licence keys.

We have the same trouble, I work in a large company and the purchasing department get the emails with licence keys and renewal notices, but it's actually quite tricky to then work out who they're supposed to be for. It'd make life a lot easier if they also included the email address of the person who registered the product that the key/renewal is linked to.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

merlinhu wrote:... where can I find the license key that I'm using on my machine?
Look in:
Help menu > Register Product ... > Register over the Phone
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

wclass wrote:
merlinhu wrote:... where can I find the license key that I'm using on my machine?
Look in:
Help menu > Register Product ... > Register over the Phone
The Register Product menu isn't available once you've already registered, including if you've done it by phone.
mattbnh
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattbnh »

Something I just found that may help others...

The email that I received when I registered online listed the customer key I registered with at the very bottom of the email.

So if you saved that email (ie, you are an email pack-rat like me), you can determine which key you used to register a given copy.

If you registered by phone, um...
kristil
Propeller Head

Post by kristil »

I discovered that you can find this in the registry.

Start menu>Run. Enter "Regedit" and the Registry Editor is displayed.
On the menu tree, select HKEY__CURRENT_USER > Software > MadCap Software > Flare > License.

Now I'm looking for a way to match up the license keys to the correct maintenance keys.

Kristi
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

kristil wrote:I discovered that you can find this in the registry.

On the menu tree, select HKEY__CURRENT_USER > Software > MadCap Software > Flare > License.

Now I'm looking for a way to match up the license keys to the correct maintenance keys.

Kristi
I don't think there's any correlation between them. At least, not that I'm aware of.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Andrew wrote:
kristil wrote:I discovered that you can find this in the registry.

Kristi
I don't think there's any correlation between them. At least, not that I'm aware of.
Yep, I don't think there's any link - you don't enter the maintenance key anywhere, even if using phone registration codes.

In my experience, I find it an absolute pain to match up licence keys and maintenance numbers. When MadCap email the licence keys, they don't include the maintenance numbers they relate to, only an order number. And they send the email to the person who purchased the licence, not the person who registers and uses it. In a large company like mine, that means one person in purchasing might get sent 20 upgrade keys, with no clear indication of who they belong to.
kristil
Propeller Head

Post by kristil »

Yes, I've spent a silly number of hours lining things up. I guess it would be smart to have been tracking in a spreadsheet from the beginning. But I haven't been at this particular place "from the beginning." ;)
chrispitude
Propeller Head

Post by chrispitude »

Thank you! This was surprisingly difficult, I'm surprised it wasn't in the About dialog.

The registry method worked. :)
bobmoon
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by bobmoon »

For what it's worth, an email to CustomerService@MadCapSoftware.com worked for me. Support sent me back a list of the license keys and the email addresses used to activate them.

I supplied the purchase order number for easy reference, since the groups in our company purchase licenses separately. I expect they could help with just your email address or a maintenance key.

Bob