Can't paste Chinese, Hindi, Russian characters

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
MunchMan
Propeller Head

Can't paste Chinese, Hindi, Russian characters

Post by MunchMan »

Our China office has sent me corrections but when I try to paste the character into a segment target or translation memory entry I just get a "?". Tried applying different fonts in the source doc first, running it through Notepad, even grabbing the glyph from Google translate: no difference. Even if I copy characters from Lingo, paste into Notepad, copy those, and paste right back into Lingo the characters are ?'s. Never a problem before. Restarted Lingo, no difference. I can type normal characters in no problem. On another language I can paste in English characters just fine, but not these languages. Polish and Czech have unique characters but work fine. Was about to ask if anyone encountered this problem and/or had a suggestion and then solved it, so I'll post the answer here for future posterity: TURN OFF "Show/Hide Spaces and Non-breaking Hyphens" (the backwards P button above the source and target filter fields). I was wondering why I was suddenly seeing the dot representing spaces in the English source; I must have turned this on by accident. When it's off, characters paste in just fine. (Interestingly, if it's on, and you paste and get the ?, and then turn the feature off, the ? does NOT revert to what you initially pasted in.) I'll copy this to a bug report.