Creating a liprjf – filter by target function does not work

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
andiausdemtal
Jr. Propeller Head

Creating a liprjf – filter by target function does not work

Post by andiausdemtal »

Hi there, fellow Lingo users,

I am in need of some advice regarding creating a Bundle for translators. I am quite new to the software and hope my question is not too plain to ask.

Upon creating a new Lingo Project file from a very large Master File which is used for various documents I receive a VERY large file with virtually ALL images and snippets from the master file.

Here's what i do:
1. I create a new Lingo project.
2. I select the Flare file ( it is a very large master file with a lot of individual Topics, Images, snippets etc. for various documents).
3. I filter it by target (in this particular case it is a simple one-page-document with some screenshots and no snippets) and click finish.
What happens now is, that I get a VERY large file with virtually ALL images and snippets from the master file.

What I need is a file for translation purposes which is not bigger than needed and does not contain snippets which are not used in the original file/topic.

Is there anything I am not aware of? I appreciate your help, best regards,
Andreas
owensmn
Propeller Head

Re: Creating a liprjf – filter by target function does not w

Post by owensmn »

Hi Andreas,
When you say you selected the Flare file, do you mean the Flare project file (flprj)?
If so, your experience is something I noticed for the first time today.
When you create a Lingo project by opening a Flare project file, it does a lot of copying of files from the Flare project folder to the Lingo project folder.
In fact I was surprised that it seemed to ignore the target selection, and copies everything from the Flare folder, and creates the SKL and XLF files. In my case, the Flare project was used for online help and PDF documentation, and I was surprised to see both PDF and help source files in my Lingo project folder.

So if you looked at the Lingo project folders for your project using File Explorer you would see all these files, and in your case, most of them are not actually what you really wanted in your project.
But when you look at the file list in Lingo, it does seem to list the files used by the target you chose.

A good way of verifying this is to create the bundle, then open the resulting ZIP file and confirm that it only contains the files you believe it should contain. Which in my case it did!

The only thing I can think of that would explain this file copying behavior is if you wanted to change the target used by your Lingo project. By copying everything, it can do this without needing to re-read the Flare project file.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Mark
andiausdemtal
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by andiausdemtal »

Hi Mark,

thanks for your quick reply. I would like to specify some of the information I have stated above:
So if you looked at the Lingo project folders for your project using File Explorer you would see all these files, and in your case, most of them are not actually what you really wanted in your project.
But when you look at the file list in Lingo, it does seem to list the files used by the target you Chose.

Actually, it is the file list in Lingo that displays e.g. over 500 snippets although my desired output uses only a handful of five or six snippets.
A good way of verifying this is to create the bundle, then open the resulting ZIP file and confirm that it only contains the files you believe it should contain. Which in my case it did!
Unfortunately, in my case it didn't.

I have contacted the support on this and will report as soon as my issue is solved.

Regards,
Andreas
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by doloremipsum »

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I have a workaround for this: I typically create a blank Flare project, then import only the targets I want out of the master project (grab the target and all linked files). Then you can pull all the files from that project into Lingo freely.

The downside obviously is that updating the Lingo project is a two-stage process: update the smaller Flare project, then update the Lingo project from there.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.