cannot get translation memory to apply

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
stephguim
Jr. Propeller Head

cannot get translation memory to apply

Post by stephguim »

Hello:

I can't seem to get my translation memory to apply itself to any of my projects. I have tried with FrameMaker 11 and Word files. The memory is there and is fine, I can edit it and look phrases up with it, but it will not apply to a project. I have tried applying the memory while creating a project, applying it after creating the project - the results are always 0 segments matched.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Re: cannot get translation memory to apply

Post by techwriter31 »

Just a guess - the language that you chose when creating the Lingo project doesn't match the language that was chosen when creating the translation memory. According to tech support, Lingo is very picky about the languages you choose for the project and the TM. When I ran into this problem, they recommended the following to verify that the languages match:

Open Lingo (no project).
Click Translate > Pick TM.
Pick the TM you imported the TMX into.
Now click Translate > Export to TMX
On the Dialog that opens, Note the languages in the list.
When you create a new project and choose languages, they have to be exactly the same.
English (United States) is not the same as English.
Spanish is not the same as Spanish (Mexico).
Kellie
stephguim
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by stephguim »

I definitely specified the right source and target languages when setting up my Lingo project, but that didn't help. We are using US English and France French.

What I ended up doing was exporting the TM so that I could specify the source and target languages it is using, then reimported that into Lingo. When I applied that TM to my files, Lingo finally started translating. The weird part is that my colleague has the trial version of Lingo on his PC and he did not need to go through that process - the TM worked just fine with all his FrameMaker files.

Anyway, if anyone else is having this problem, the fix above worked for me and it might for you, too.
HeraTech
Propeller Head

Post by HeraTech »

Once again the MadCap forums to the rescue. You guys have come through for me so many times through the years.

We just recently bought MadCap Suite and I was playing around with it before we had our "end of project" postmortem with our translation vendor. Because we're changing tools, I was trying to understand the basics of Flare + Lingo in advance of the meeting. I was trying to figure out why Lingo seemed to be loading the TM we got from our localization vendor but I was getting zero matches when I ran "Compute Statistics" against the exact files we had sent out for translation.

Turns out "Japanese" is not the same thing as "Japanese (Japan)". I would have never noticed that myself. So thanks guys for the assist!