Tags out of Order - Error, V6

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
nnelson
Jr. Propeller Head

Tags out of Order - Error, V6

Post by nnelson »

Struggling with advancing a line in translation. Keep getting a "tags out of order" error but they are NOT. I "revert to source" and it freezes. I "add tags from source" and it still reads the same error. It is only with this particular line. HELP!
donpedro
Propeller Head

Re: Tags out of Order - Error, V6

Post by donpedro »

I get that all the time unfortunately. What helps me is either of the following procedures:

Option 1 - Repair in Lingo
Once you click away the "tags out of order" dialog, click on the previous segment in the LEFT-HAND (source) column (on the last approved segment).
Press Return/accept again.
Try translating the segment again - that sometimes fixes it.

NOTE: ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR PROJECT/FILES BEFORE DOING ANY OF THE FOLLOWING.

Option 2 - Repair in 3rd party HTML-editor
Open the HTM and XLF files in an application such as TextPad and "repair" the files in there (ie. removing the surplus tag(s) or add the missing tag(s)) from the applicable
segments.
SolenaLeMoigne
Propeller Head

Post by SolenaLeMoigne »

I have also stumbled in that situation. What caused it is Lingo getting tagging mixed-up and thinking a tag is number 12 of the file when in the source it's number 5.
A workaround is the following:
- delete all tags in target segment
- right-click on segment and re-import tags from source
- place tags in correct location
- preview the topic and move tags around more if needed
- accept translation
The catch with this procedure is that if you have conditions on certain parts of the segment that include some tags, you will see it only in preview mode, where you typically can't edit anything.
So you're back to the desperate solutions : direct editing of the XLF and HTM.
- Solena Le Moigne
Don’t worry, I’ll merge all those markups onto a single copy - Wade Nelson - techwhirl.com
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Post by kwag_myers »

Here's another scenario I just ran into: If you have untranslated segments, verify the source and translation match. Occasionally, Lingo pulls the target from the next segment into an untranslated target and causes the error. The work-around is to right-click the untranslated target and select Revert to Source. You only need to do this for the untranslated segments on the page in view.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard