Connecting to remote database with SQL Server authentication

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
jamesw
Propeller Head

Connecting to remote database with SQL Server authentication

Post by jamesw »

Hi all
Does anyone know if it is possible to make Lingo connect to a SQL Server database, on another machine, using SQL Server authentication?
My situation is that three of our staff in another office want to use a Lingo to vet a translation. We want them to all be able to use the same translation memory database.
They have a peer-to-peer network but no domain controller, and so they haven't been able to connect to the database using Windows Integrated Security. Lingo has the Use Specific Login information option available but I'm not sure if this is just a way of logging on using a different domain user, or whether you can log on as a database user (i.e. as a login created in SQL Server).
I've tried it, and the Select database dialog box lists the remote server in the Servers pane, but in the Databases pane it says (Found no databases)
The database system is SQL Server 2008 R2. Windows Firewall is off on both computers. I have been into SQL Server Management Studio and created a database user, Server Roles: public and sysadmin, User Mapping: [mapped to the Lingo database], Server properties Server authentication is set to SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode, and then I restarted the SQL Server service.
Is it technically possible, does anyone know?
James Willoughby
jamesw
Propeller Head

Re: Connecting to remote database with SQL Server authentication

Post by jamesw »

I've got some information from MadCap support that all users have to be in the same network domain to access the SQL database.
So I will ask my users to each work with local TM databases.
James Willoughby