Update a file in Lingo project

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
LynnHomsi66
Propeller Head

Update a file in Lingo project

Post by LynnHomsi66 »

Hi all,

So I want to update a single file in a lingo project. My Lingo project consists of 5 files and I want to update only one of these files. The "Update project" button is grayed out. How can I update that one file?

I imagine I have to create a separate lingo project for each of my flare topics. This doesn't make sense to me and seems disorganized since you will have a project for each flare topic.
Thanks
Lynn
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Update a file in Lingo project

Post by Nita Beck »

It's not clear to me what you mean by update a file in Lingo.

I assume that those five translated topics have been pulled back into a translated Flare project, yes? Can't you just make the updates to the topic there, in that Flare project? Lingo isn't for authoring content. It's only for translating content that has been pulled out of a Flare project and cut up into segments, which are then translated.

Or are you saying that the original English version of one of those five topics has been updated, and now you need to translate those changes? In that case, I think you do need to create a new Lingo package with that topic so that the new content can be translated.

If I've misunderstood, please post back and I'll try again.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
LynnHomsi66
Propeller Head

Post by LynnHomsi66 »

Hi,
yes, the latter is what i meant. The English source is updated and now I want to translate the changes; so I need to update the file in the project. There are many files that get updated and some are pretty lengthy, so updating them straight in Flare is not the best solution for me.
So we can't open a project with many files, update only one file and translate the changes? I will need to create a separate project for each topic I want to translate?
Thanks
Lynn
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Caveat: I am not a Lingo user, although I think I understand its features well enough to answer your question.

Lingo has a feature that will examine the Flare project in order to determine what has changed since the last time it was translated. You won't need a separate Lingo project for each updated topic.

This feature is discussed in the Lingo 7 Help system here: http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/lingo ... ojects.htm.

I hope I've given you enough info to point you in the right direction.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!