Outputting from File List to Excel

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
jamesw
Propeller Head

Outputting from File List to Excel

Post by jamesw »

I wanted to send the File List to Excel and couldn't see an obvious way to do so. However I have found a way to do it that isn't obvious, so I'm sharing it.
The immediate reason for doing this was to give 3 reviewers a list of the files that are not yet translated (i.e. Status: Sent for Translation) so they can easily divide up the reviewing work amongst the three of them. I can see other use cases in the future though.
1. In Lingo, choose File > Save for Review.
2. In the Save for Review form, sort by the Status column (or a different column).
3. Hold down SHIFT, and click on the rows you want to export.
4. Press CTRL+C.
5. In Excel, paste.
James Willoughby
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Outputting from File List to Excel

Post by Nita Beck »

James, I assume that you have access to Flare, given that you've applied file tags (or maybe condition tags?) to the topics. You can accomplish exactly what you aim by using Flare rather than Lingo. You can save the entire File List or just part of it as a .csv file, which you can then open with Excel and save as an Excel file.

If you want to save the entire File List as a .csv file, click the 5th toolbar button from the left, whose tooltip reads "Export the data to a CSV file." If you look very closely, it looks like an up arrow and a teeny tiny Excel logo.

If you want to save just part of the File List, I suggest that you sort the list by file tag (or condition tag, if that is what you used), select the rows you're interested in, and click the 6th toolbar button from the left, whose tooltip reads "Export the selected data to a CVS file."

That should do it!

(And you can read more about these features here: http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare ... V_File.htm)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
jamesw
Propeller Head

Post by jamesw »

Hi Nita
I do have access to Flare but I haven't applied file tags or condition tags in Flare. The 'Sent for translation' status got applied to the files in Lingo when I used the Create Bundle command in Lingo. I've been liking the fact that I don't have to send the files back to Flare at the stage of reviewing translations to keep the the translation process as simple as possible.
However, it is a good that we have the export to CSV feature in Flare's File List - that could be useful in a number of circumstances, so thanks for the tip. :)
James Willoughby
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Let's both go submit feature requests to have that same capability added to Lingo!
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Abigail111
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Abigail111 »

HI there
Thanks for your nice sharing.It helps a lot..I am looking for a method to send the File List to Excel.But i found it is a little bit difficult for me.
I want to know that if there is a fine
Excel processing tool which supports to do that directly.I think that would be more convenient.
Thanks a lot
I am a newbie here
I want to learn more about
Excel processing and Excel program.