Translate Only the Files Used in a Specific TOC

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
mechartrand
Propeller Head

Translate Only the Files Used in a Specific TOC

Post by mechartrand »

Good afternoon!

We have a very large MadCap Flare project containing many documents sharing several topics and snippets. We also have several different TOCs and Targets as we build many different Help systems and books from that project.
We have some contributors who would like to translate 2 of our books.

When I open the project in Lingo, the entire project is copied.

I would like to be able to select only the topics, images and snippets used in a specific TOC. Is there a way to do such a thing?

Thank you!

Marie-Eve
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Re: Translate Only the Files Used in a Specific TOC

Post by kwag_myers »

With my limited experience in Lingo, I don't know of an automated way to do this. It seems Lingo projects are based either on a Flare project file (*.flprj) or individual files. I tried starting a new Lingo project with a TOC file as its source, but only the file was added to the project and not any of the topics linked to it.

I can only see one option (sorry): Duplicate the Flare project and remove the unwanted files manually. I wouldn't worry about the image files. Remember, after translation, you still need to generate output in Flare. The only way I can see to accomplish this is to have a separate project file in Flare.

You may want to consider chunking your big Flare project up into individual projects based on each TOC. This would solve your Lingo issue moving forward.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
mechartrand
Propeller Head

Re: Translate Only the Files Used in a Specific TOC

Post by mechartrand »

Thank you for your reply.
That's what I feared.

The problem with breaking our Flare project is that we have a very large amount of snippets and topics that are shared between the books, which would defeat our purpose for using MadCap.

Thank you very much for your help!

Marie-Eve