Updating Projects - Basic Steps

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Updating Projects - Basic Steps

Post by kwag_myers »

I want to be sure my understanding of Flare project updates is correct. I've been able to use Lingo's File > Update Project feature without any issues. What's unclear to me is what to do after the translation is updated. I don't see a way of merging the updates into an existing Flare project, but instead need to File > Export, which does not overwrite the existing localized project. So, I either have multiple projects for each language, e.g., Help_ES, Help_ES1, etc., or I need to delete the existing localized Flare project before export. Is this correct, or am I missing something?
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
EileenP
Propeller Head

Re: Updating Projects - Basic Steps

Post by EileenP »

I don't suppose OP is still wondering the answer, but for the next user who's wondering:
I asked Support and I got the below reply. As far as I'm concerned, this is NOT an acceptable workflow. We send our translations out for review. When the reviews come back, how are we to integrate those changes?!?

It is not possible to update the exported Flare project and bring it back into Lingo. The typical work flow is a one to one relationship.

Flare project A > Creates Lingo project A > Translate as necessary > Export to Flare.

If at any point translations need to be re-added they can be done in two methods

- Update the Exported Flare project > Build as necessary > New additions/translations will not be added to TM if created within Flare

- Update the original source Flare project > Open Lingo project A > Select File > Update Project > Select original Flare project A.
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Re: Updating Projects - Basic Steps

Post by kwag_myers »

Thanks for the reply. This is an ongoing issue for me, so I'm interested in any and all suggestions.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard