Entries in TM are different because of HTML-Tags

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
rpa
Propeller Head

Entries in TM are different because of HTML-Tags

Post by rpa »

Good morning

At the moment, I'm trying to establish a TM with Lingo to minimize our costs for translation. The general idea was to translate resx-files (which are used for our software) and all the MadCap Flare files with Lingo and its TM. Until today, I only translated resx-files and saved the translation in the TM. None of the resx-files contains any HTML-tags. I now started to translate Flare projects with Lingo and found out, that the content from Flare is not translated with the TM as soon as there are HTML-tags like </br> or <b>.

Example: In the TM, the term "An" in German is already translated in Italian with "A". I now imported the Flare project which contains exact the same term (An) but with the HTML tags <b></b> around it but Lingo did not propose <b>A</b>. The term was shown as not translated.

This seems wrong to me. The term has already been translated and is now in the TM. If Lingo doesn't recognize that the terms with HTML are just terms with "some extras", I will have to send them again to the translator (and of course pay for it a 2nd time).

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Patrick
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Re: Entries in TM are different because of HTML-Tags

Post by kwag_myers »

Tags are a pain with Lingo. I think I spend as much time fixing them as I do anything else.

When you select a segment you should see at least one suggestion with a % Match of 70-90, depending on how many tags are in the segment. If this is the correct translation, double-click to move the translation into the editing pane. To add the tags to the translation, right-click and select Add Tags From Source. Then drag the tags into position. Since I'm not a translator, I tend to use Google Translate to be sure I'm tagging the correct words.

One thing about dragging tags: The closing tag, e.g., span1>, always seems to inclose the space after a word (makes me crazy). I generally cut-n-paste the closers for this reason.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
rpa
Propeller Head

Post by rpa »

hy kwag_myers

Thanks for your help and your instructions how to fix this problem. Unfortunately, this is not the path I want to use. I don't want to edit the translated content since a) I'm not a translator and b) we pay our translator enough to do his job.

Another point is that I would like to avoid having the same term several times in the TM.

I contacted MadCap support and they replied me, that in general, HTML-tags are simply formatting.

Well it seems as if this story is going to end in a feature request...
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Post by kwag_myers »

I agree that it is a very time consuming process, but a lot quicker than waiting for the next release of Lingo (hoping it does what you want). Whether you want the tags in the translation or not, you're going to have two entries, no way around it (unless you take the tags out of your Flare project). This is because you have two originals, one with tags and one without.

One of the first things I learned when working with translations is that you NEVER change anything unless it's wrong. As you can see, just styling a word or phrase incurs a cost. Unless your Flare project is an exact match to your original resx, you're going to spend some time on it.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
EileenP
Propeller Head

Post by EileenP »

By the way, I discovered a better way to position the tags than dragging and dropping: Just place your cursor where you want them to be, and press Ctrl+N to copy the next tag to the target. This way you avoid that pesky incorrect spacing.

Another way, of course, is to manually delete the space before the tag and add a new space after the tag before pressing return (Confirm).