Starting a Lingo Project and Using Align Utility

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
lisa_del
Jr. Propeller Head

Starting a Lingo Project and Using Align Utility

Post by lisa_del »

Hello All-

I am just starting to use Lingo to manage translation projects.

I created a Spanish project in Lingo (based on an English Flare project) and imported TMX file from translator, but so many segments must be manually confirmed or have no suggestions it could take weeks to get the project up and running (and I have German and Chinese projects to create!).

I tried using the Align utility to match up the English Flare project with an already-exisiting (but separate from English source) Spanish Flare project, but the only files that show are the TOC files from the Flare project with the segments of the titles of each file within the project.

My questions are:
- Is there an easier way to get the Lingo projects up and running that I am missing?
- How do I get the Align utility to show the actual files in the project with the segments from these files so I can align them correctly (to hopefully make creating the Lingo project easier)?

Thanks for your help!
Cheers,
Lisa
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Re: Starting a Lingo Project and Using Align Utility

Post by kwag_myers »

I had the same thing happen with my first project. I believe the problem with files not showing in Align is caused by a check box labeled: "Automatically upload segments to this translation memory" in the New Project wizard. You may want to try another new project and be sure this check box is clear.

Once you get the project aligned, you should have suggestions for each segment. As for manually confirming segments, I haven't found a way to speed this up yet.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
lisa_del
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by lisa_del »

Thanks for your help! I also apparently had a filter on to show only fltoc files-oops! Changed it to htm and then all the content files appeared. Good to know, so just put in the time and it will be worth it later then, right? :)
Cheers,
Lisa
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Post by kwag_myers »

One tip I can pass along is that I always keep notes of what changes I've made in the first language to be sure I don't miss anything in the subsequent translations.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard