Lingo parsing segments poorly from Flare

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
SaraPM
Propeller Head

Lingo parsing segments poorly from Flare

Post by SaraPM »

I've found repeatedly that Lingo doesn't handle nested lists very well when importing a Flare project, consistently putting <li> and <ul> tags with the previous segment or </li> </ul>tags with the following segment. It seems to have some rule about keeping tags together, even if those tags specifically separate one segment from another (I've seen this with images appearing in the wrong segment too).

And this wouldn't be so irritating if, when I put the cursor IN BETWEEN the two tags and clicked the split segment button, it didn't STILL keep the tags together as their own segment! I have to put the cursor back in between then and do it again, then reintegrate both tags in the correct segment.

Anyone else running into this?
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Re: Lingo parsing segments poorly from Flare

Post by kwag_myers »

I found the best ways to deal with tags is to delete them and then add them back in (I can then move them around as needed). I've even gone so far as to open the XLF file in the target folder and edit the source code in a third-party text editor.

The issue I've just encountered is not with nested lists, but does have to do with tags not being together. I send my translations out and when I got them back this last time I had several topics throw an error during the bundle merge: "The XLIFF in topic.htm.xlf is no longer valid..." with something about the elementName property being outside acceptable values. I examined the code for hours comparing the bad files to the good ones, and then I looked at the files in the target folder and noticed the strange formatting of the source code.

Once I realized the tags had to be together, I opened the bad files from the translator in NotePad++ and linarize the code (which puts it all on one line). I was then able to merge the bundle successfully.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
SaraPM
Propeller Head

Re: Lingo parsing segments poorly from Flare

Post by SaraPM »

That sounds like a lot of workaround, given that when I do ANYTHING to the .htm.xlf files outside of Lingo it refuses to re-import them into the project. It feels like Lingo is sort of languishing without development resources allocated to improving anything.