Image Size Difference

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
yossikarp
Propeller Head

Image Size Difference

Post by yossikarp »

Hi, Forum.

Has anyone had an issue with some images appearing at their original size in the Exported (translated) Flare project, even if the image was reduced in size (using Capture) in the original English Flare project?

To deal with this problem, I have to open the image from my Exported (translated) Flare project in Capture and then close it. The image then appears at the correct size in Flare.

This image resizing bug occurs in only some of my images, not all of them. They are PNGs.

If you know why this happens or you have a way to prevent this from happening, I'd appreciate your help.

Lingo V8
Flare V10

Regards,

Yossi Karp
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Image Size Difference

Post by ajturnersurrey »

Here is a wild guess in response to your query, which I think is a general Capture issue.

I have noticed that capture pictures get rendered oddly in Flare sometimes if the image and the .props file get slightly out of synch. By opening the image in capture you get the props file updated to match the image by Capture and then all is well with the world.

A typical example for me is when you replace the image, say a screenshot, with a new one - like for like replacement of the .png file, but leaving the .props file untouched, you will be able to see in explorer that their file creation dates are different. When I have done this with a graphic or a diagram with call outs on it all manner of strange things can happen including overlaying the new version of the image over the old one, finding some parts uneditable... The best cure I have found is to always delete the old .props file when changing an image and generate a clean one in Capture.

Not ideal but controllable.
yossikarp
Propeller Head

Post by yossikarp »

Thanks - it's a good tip and I'll keep it in mind. Hopefully that practice will prevent the issue from occurring again.
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

I think this is not so much a Capture issue, more about finding the right way to swap images. If your image has Capture edits, and therefore a props file, you can make the swap from within Capture using Replace on the Edit ribbon. This lets you swap the image out for a new one while keeping all your callouts and effects in place on the image. It also preserves background scaling (but not cropping). Although this is a bit more work than overwriting the image in Windows, it avoids problems later.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7