How to change Screenshots

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
PhilipBogner
Propeller Head

How to change Screenshots

Post by PhilipBogner »

Hello,

i translate my projects with Lingo.

Text-Translations with XLIFF works perfect.

But I dont found a good way to change the Screenshots.

Because I have the Screenshots in 3 languages with the totally same name in different folders.

How to change the Screenshots in the translated projects?
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Re: How to change Screenshots

Post by kwag_myers »

I replace images in the translated Flare project. As long as the links to the images are unchanged and the image files have the same name in each language, you should be good.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
PhilipBogner
Propeller Head

Post by PhilipBogner »

Yeah i do it the same way, but every time i get a new translation, i have to make a new export ( lingo -> flare) and every time i have to change the screenshots...
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

You may also want to look into replacing screen shots with screen portraits. See Andy Robertson's famous blog post here: https://techwritetips.wordpress.com/200 ... portraits/
Using screen portraits is a little bit more upfront work, but you will have no need to replace anything for any number of languages.
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Post by kwag_myers »

PhilipBogner wrote:Yeah i do it the same way, but every time i get a new translation, i have to make a new export ( lingo -> flare) and every time i have to change the screenshots...
Only if it's a new project. But not if you are updating an existing project. Maybe I'm not understanding your workflow, but when I have a translation project I use Windows Explorer to copy the translated images into the Content/Resources/Images folder of the Flare project after I export from Lingo. When the project has updates, I use File > Update Project. Lingo knows what files are added or revised and leaves the previous translated files (including images) intact. When you export the updated project, you only need to replace any new images.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard