Update translated Project

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
PhilipBogner
Propeller Head

Update translated Project

Post by PhilipBogner »

Hi!

I have a project i'll translate with lingo.

After importing the translations, i have exported the translated project.

But if I get now additional changes or translation, i have to export a NEW project.

Than I have 2 projects, but i just want to update the 1st exported project with the new translation.

How can i do this?
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Re: Update translated Project

Post by kwag_myers »

I was hoping that someone smarter than me would enlighten us both, as my workflow for this is really clunky. Ideally, I think we can agree that Lingo should overwrite the existing project instead of exporting a new one. The only successful way I've been able to manage updated projects is to export to a new folder. Once I'm sure the update is solid, I change the name of the original folder using the version number of the previous release (which only works if you're writing for software). Then I change the name of the updated folder to what the old project folder was. It gets really messy when I'm using version control.

Hopefully, someone knows a better way.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
MattyQ
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MattyQ »

This sounds like a workflow issue. I'm not totally clear: is there a reason why you don't just delete the older version and replace it with the new version?
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Post by kwag_myers »

I ran into some version control issues doing that. But I think as long as the Flare and Lingo projects are in separate directories, you can do that. However, I'd recommend either changing the old folder name or making a backup first.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
MattyQ
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MattyQ »

kwag_myers wrote:I'd recommend either changing the old folder name or making a backup first.
Definitely backup, yeah. =)

I guess I was confused because, in my experience, the update to a Lingo-exported Flare project is inherent, in that you shouldn't have lost any existing translation. I.E., when you update the project in Lingo using the original Flare project, send it for translation, merge the bundle, and export to the new Flare project, there shouldn't be any loss of data, only the addition of the new translations.

Is the concern about losing modifications you've made to the previous version of the Lingo-exported Flare project? That seems valid.