Losing spaces with segmentation

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
MPlatt
Propeller Head

Losing spaces with segmentation

Post by MPlatt »

I've scouted around a bit but I can't find an answer to this issue.

When Lingo is exporting a bundle (of Flare topics) for translation, the segmentation of translation units is dropping the spaces between sentences.
I can't seem to find any function to control or prevent this.

Example Unit:

Code: Select all

One of the features of VBS3 is the ability to add your own content to the simulator. At a very basic level, creating new content for VBS3 is simple, all that is required is a 3D model and a configuration file to tell the simulation engine that the model exists and how to handle it. It is only as the model becomes more complex in terms of animation and functionality, that the model requirements and configuration code becomes more complex.
.xlf output:

Code: Select all

<trans-unit id="4" restype="x-p" phase-name="pretrans">
  <source>One of the features of VBS3 is the ability to add your own content to the simulator. At a very basic level, creating new content for VBS3 is simple, all that is required is a 3D model and a configuration file to tell the simulation engine that the model exists and how to handle it. It is only as the model becomes more complex in terms of animation and functionality, that the model requirements and configuration code becomes more complex.</source>
  <seg-source>
    <mrk mtype="seg" mid="1">One of the features of VBS3 is the ability to add your own content to the simulator.</mrk>
    <mrk mtype="seg" mid="2">At a very basic level, creating new content for VBS3 is simple, all that is required is a 3D model and a configuration file to tell the simulation engine that the model exists and how to handle it.</mrk>
    <mrk mtype="seg" mid="3">It is only as the model becomes more complex in terms of animation and functionality, that the model requirements and configuration code becomes more complex.</mrk>
  </seg-source>
  <target>
    <mrk mtype="seg" mid="1" MadCap:segmentStatus="Untranslated" MadCap:matchPercent="0" />
    <mrk mtype="seg" mid="2" MadCap:segmentStatus="Untranslated" MadCap:matchPercent="0" />
    <mrk mtype="seg" mid="3" MadCap:segmentStatus="Untranslated" MadCap:matchPercent="0" />
  </target>
</trans-unit>
Any tips?
MattyQ
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Losing spaces with segmentation

Post by MattyQ »

Are you seeing the spacing lost in the actual exported version of the Lingo project? The XML looks correct to the XLIFF specification, and should rebuild the spaces when it's output to a new project.

This reminded me of another issue I'd read--if you check the text editor in Flare, what kind of spaces do you have between sentences? Apparently there are some issues in the near past with non-standard spaces: http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... 40&t=20558

("Non-standard" only as far as Lingo's concerned, that is.)
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Post by kwag_myers »

I've run into this a few times and what I suspect is the translation service inadvertently selected the space (which is usually at the end of the sentence) when they selected the entire English segment placeholder to delete it. I haven't found an easy way to deal with this yet. Most of my projects are less than 200 topics, so I just go through the output and look for periods with no space after. I find I need to do this anyway because somethings closing tags get lost and I have half a topic in bold.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
MPlatt
Propeller Head

Post by MPlatt »

MattyQ wrote:Are you seeing the spacing lost in the actual exported version of the Lingo project? The XML looks correct to the XLIFF specification, and should rebuild the spaces when it's output to a new project.

This reminded me of another issue I'd read--if you check the text editor in Flare, what kind of spaces do you have between sentences? Apparently there are some issues in the near past with non-standard spaces: http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... 40&t=20558

("Non-standard" only as far as Lingo's concerned, that is.)
Well, that's the point - I'm exporting the .xlf because our translator is using Trados.
If the spaces are not present in the segments, how will they know, and why doesn't Lingo reinsert them when it rebuilds the translation unit?