Lingo and SDL Studio 2014 SP2 issues

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
Uwe
Propeller Head

Lingo and SDL Studio 2014 SP2 issues

Post by Uwe »

Just as an FYI, I found out that perfect and context matches do not work in SDL STudio, when it comes from a Lingo update with the xliff Option. I forwarded the bug to SDL, and let you know, when I find out more.
Magdalene
Propeller Head

Re: Lingo and SDL Studio 2014 SP2 issues

Post by Magdalene »

Hi Uwe,

Thank you for sharing this info. We used to consider using xliff to exchange data with LSPs, but we gave it up due to the inconsistent handling of translation unit between the two applications. If you get further info, please let us know.

Best regards,

Magdalene
Uwe
Propeller Head

Post by Uwe »

Magdalene,

I am actually in the process of trying out a Workaround. Also, I plan on later to explain the whole bug in more Detail.
Uwe
Propeller Head

Post by Uwe »

As promised here is a description of the bug:

We are implementing a large scale L10N environment for Flare projects using MadCap Lingo in conjunction with SDL Studio 2014 SP2 latest patch. We do not use the translation memorx and termbase features of Lingo, because it does not meet my requirements. Its a good first start but I consider it work in progress and there is still lots of work to do before I look at this part again.

Since most of the software is being now localized in sprint mode we are taking the next step to add the documentation and online help as well to the sprint routines.

Upon running some more extensive tests, we found out that context and perfect match does not work with XLF files from MadCapLingo. The updated material shows only as translated and None of the segments are Context or Perfect matches.

We proceeded as follows:
  • 1. The MadCap Lingo Export package was created, and the option for creating an XLIFF file bundle, so we can send it to vendors.
    2. The studio project was created and translated.
    3. We received the update for the project imported it into madcap lingo and created the export package just like in step 1.
    4. We created the new Studio project using the archive from Step 3 as the source and the files in the Studio project from Step 1 as reference for Context and perfect Match.
Besides not recognizing the previous files (http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/4649.html, which is still a pain) and having to add them manually 1 by 1,the segments will only show as translated and not as context or perfect match, hence not only requiring review but also consequently a lot higher cost for completion.

On the funny side: I submitted the bug and I was told that the perfect match and context match function is not something supported in Studio. It would be nice if the support actually know s the product they support. And while I am dreaming....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uwe
Propeller Head

Post by Uwe »

Here is the Workaround instituted to solve the issue with the perfect matches and context matches.

While I still process the update through Lingo, once I have the Project updated in Lingo, I am not using the exported lingo package. Instead I am exporting the list of changed files from Lingo and create the Studio Project using the changed or new Flare files directly and the madCap FLare file type availalbe through the Studio exchange. If you look at the screenshot you will see that I know have 3523 words signed off and they are locked and can not be modified. Based on the volume I provide to vendors, I am not getting charged for these, so cost and time are now where they should be.

Also, I will be posting info on the workflow I am using in a separate Topic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Evzen
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Evzen »

You could try to play with the "Segment status mapping" setting in the XLIFF file type setting in Studio and map the different 'trans-unit' states which Lingo puts in the XLFs to something more meaningful.

What the SDL support probably meant by "not supporting perfect match and context match" was the MadCap-specific attributes of the <mrk> element, e.g. MadCap:segmentStatus="ExactMatch".
rpa
Propeller Head

Post by rpa »

Has anyone found a solution to fix this problem? In my case, it seems as if Trados can't recognize the element MadCap:matchPercent="100". Our LSP sees only a fuzzy match around 80% and charges us his work to controll those segments. Something we wanted to avoid by using a TM.

Or maybe someone knows a work around how to prevent the export of 101% and 100% match segments into the xliff file?

Patrick