Updating translations into existing Flare content

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
niina_p
Propeller Head

Updating translations into existing Flare content

Post by niina_p »

Hi all,

I've recently installed Lingo for trial to check out whether we could move into a more organized way of translating some of our online help content (we use Flare for this). Our help is in version control (SVN), but we cannot use the built-in version control functionalities of Flare due to some version issues in our servers' version control (don't ask :wink: ). Therefore, we do updates and commits using TortoiseSVN outside Flare. What I'm now wondering is the workflow after translating the content and updating the existing Flare files. We only translate a certain part of our (Finnish) help into English. In my test run I imported/exported two folders of html topic files from the Finnish project and I'm now wondering if I'm supposed to then copy-paste these on top of the existing Flare folders in the English project?

Since the trial installation scrambles the export, I cannot determine whether version control will properly distinguish changed content instead of showing the whole file as changed. We may do some minor edits in the content and will want to be able to trace the changes in version control logs later on. Can anybody confirm how this works with upating previously translated content?

Appreciate your input!
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Re: Updating translations into existing Flare content

Post by kwag_myers »

When you have updated translations, the existing project becomes obsolete with the updated project taking it's place. Since you're familiar with SVN, think of the old project as a tag and the new project as a branch.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
niina_p
Propeller Head

Re: Updating translations into existing Flare content

Post by niina_p »

We do small updates to the content based on the edits developers do on tickets, i.e. we don't translate a great mass of content on one go. Therefore, for our workflow, replacing the entire old version of the project with a new one each time an edit is made into a file or a few files just will not work for us :( And we still need traceability for the edits.