Want to use translations from main and subgroup languages

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
vanessabq
Jr. Propeller Head

Want to use translations from main and subgroup languages

Post by vanessabq »

Hello,

I have a translation memory that over time, has ended up with translations for both the main language (e.g. German), and for subgroups (e.g. German (Germany)). We only use 1 flavor of each language, so I would like to just use ALL available translations.

I created my project and selected the main language, but when I look at each segment, it only suggests the translations that are in the main language. The only place I actually see segments in the subgroup is when I edit the TM - I can search for segments in the main or subgroup language.

Am I missing a setting somewhere? I know that I can export the TM, search for all "DE" and replace with "DE-DE", and import the tmx back in, but this seems tedious and I'm not a fan of doing a replace-all. (There are over 100,000 segments, so manually checking each find/replace isn't really doable.) I know that, for example, "Fr" shows up in a segment referring to Friday. We also translate to 18 languages, so this is a lot of work.

I hope someone tells me there's an easy fix for this!

Thanks!
Uwe
Propeller Head

Re: Want to use translations from main and subgroup language

Post by Uwe »

Vanessa,

thats probably the only way of doing it. Just one recommendation on my part in order to do a manual replace without compromising the TM quality. Instead of just attempting to replace FR with fr-FR I would recommend to copy the whole language segment identifier <tuv xml:lang="FR"> and replace with <tuv xml:lang="fr-FR"> using your example. In this manner you dont accidentally ruin Translation units, because as you pointed out correctly FR is used for Friday. Addtionally, I recommend the use of Notepad++ (its freeware) and not just plain notepad.

HTH

Uwe
vanessabq
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by vanessabq »

Thanks Uwe,

That's a good tip. If I have to go the manual route, that's definitely safer.
And yes, I'm using Notepad++. So much better!

After further investigation, it seems like not all 18 languages have mixed up keys, so it's not going to be as painful as I originally imagined.

Thanks for the help!
Vanessa
Uwe
Propeller Head

Post by Uwe »

Excellent. Hope it works out correctly.