Lingo workflow questions

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
damadeo
Propeller Head

Lingo workflow questions

Post by damadeo »

I'm new to Lingo and trying to figure out three things:
1. The exact workflow and tasks necessary to publish a Flare project in another language using Lingo as the file packager for the linguists.
2. Why when I imported my test Lingo project back into a <new> Flare project, all the previous project files were missing (toc, target, etc).
3. Does the new project output have a different URL from our English version? ie. How do we know which Flare output to call once we determine the user's locale?

thanks for any help.
Diane
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Re: Lingo workflow questions

Post by kwag_myers »

damadeo wrote: 1. The exact workflow and tasks necessary to publish a Flare project in another language using Lingo as the file packager for the linguists.
It depends on your intended output, but the basic steps are explained in Lingo Help. However, I've found with tri-pane WebHelp that the toolbar items may need to be put in a text file added to the files you send to the translator.

One tip is to sort the files by type when creating a bundle to send out. If you have images, you want to be sure to leave those out.
2. Why when I imported my test Lingo project back into a <new> Flare project, all the previous project files were missing (toc, target, etc).
No idea, sorry.
3. Does the new project output have a different URL from our English version? ie. How do we know which Flare output to call once we determine the user's locale?
When I send my output files to the developers, I have each translation in a folder identified by the language, e.g., ProjectEN (for English), ProjectPT (for Portuguese), etc. But all file names stay identical to avoid broken links. I have one project where the use can select a translation from the toolbar of the English version, but this is far from ideal in my opinion (the word "clunky" comes to mind). Other projects include the link in the UI string file.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
MattyQ
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MattyQ »

damadeo wrote: 2. Why when I imported my test Lingo project back into a <new> Flare project, all the previous project files were missing (toc, target, etc).
Hi, Diane,

Just to clarify, did you actually try importing a Lingo project into a Flare project, or did you export your Lingo project to a Flare project?

It may sound like semantics, but I think if you did the latter, everything should be there. If you tried the former, I imagine stuff would be missing, depending on how you performed the import. And, just to ask the basic questions, are you sure those files were present in your Lingo project in the first place?

I think I've posted our workflow for translation using Lingo before -- let me see if I can track that down, too.
damadeo
Propeller Head

Post by damadeo »

Thanks, All!
I've done it successfully now -- one more question: I have translated an entire topic for testing purposes, however, that topic's TOC entry doesn't show as translated in the Flare output (though the topic does). Where are the TOC entries in the Lingo project?
MattyQ
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MattyQ »

damadeo wrote:Where are the TOC entries in the Lingo project?
There should be one or more *.fltoc files (one for each TOC you have in the project) that contains the segments you need to get translated. If you have a filter applied to the File List window in Lingo, you may not be seeing the *.fltoc files.