403 Forbidden. Protocol Error with Google Translate API

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
ChrisBradley
Propeller Head

403 Forbidden. Protocol Error with Google Translate API

Post by ChrisBradley »

I'm brand new to Lingo. I searched the forum and did not find anyone else with a similar issue.

I'm attempting to do Machine Translation with the Google API. After about 800,000 translated characters I got the following error for all my requests:

Code: Select all

Background:System.Exception: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden. ProtocolError.
   at B3.LingoMachineTranslationKit.GoogleMT.MTString(String source, String sourceLang, String targetLang)
   at B3.LingoMachineTranslationKit.LingoMTController.GetMTSuggestions(ITokenizedString source, String targetLang)
   at B3.LingoMachineTranslationKit.MTSuggestionBackgroundWorker.OnDoCustomWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
   at B3.AppKit.CustomBackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
Once the error hit, there was no going back. I've confirmed I did not max out on the API's 2 million character limit. If I create new Lingo projects the issue persists. If I test the API from the Options menu I get the error. If I create a new API Key with my account, I still get the error.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Madcap Advanced Developer
sdriggars
Propeller Head

Re: 403 Forbidden. Protocol Error with Google Translate API

Post by sdriggars »

I was just doing some testing of this feature and ran across the same problem. The translation appeared to be working initially but then 403 errors started happening intermittently. After about 10 minutes, I was only seeing 403 errors and no translations coming across.

A search of Google's developer FAQ turned up a possible solution. See the 403 error topic under Technical Questions here:
https://cloud.google.com/translate/v2/faq

"You may be exceeding your quota: either the daily billable total, or the limit on request characters per second."

My entire project has a character count of only 977,829, and Google bills on 20 million characters, so I'm assuming it was sending across too many characters per second.
--Stephen
sdriggars
Propeller Head

Re: 403 Forbidden. Protocol Error with Google Translate API

Post by sdriggars »

As an update to this--I tried this process again the following day, and it worked with no errors.
--Stephen