Lingo does not accept one language back into the project

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
Uwe
Propeller Head

Lingo does not accept one language back into the project

Post by Uwe »

I have a rather large lingo project, and I did run into the following problem.

The translation was done via the XLIFF option with an external tool and I did get the translation back from the vendor. However, when I attempt to merge the bundle it will not allow me to do so for Spanish. The other languages are fine. The files will change to untranslated after the merging. I checked the XLF files and everything is correct and translated. Addtionally the XLF files are placed into the correct directory after the merge.

What I did so far:
  • I rebooted.
    I cleaned up the files again and generated the target files again and repeated the process.
Any ideas would be appreciated, because its only for Spanish and only for this particular project. The other languages in this project and the other projects had no issues with Spanish.
Uwe
Propeller Head

Re: Lingo does not accept one language back into the project

Post by Uwe »

The issue has been solved in conjunction with Lingo Support. Here is the explanation in case someone else runs into this.

The project in question was originally created with Lingo 8 with a number of languages. Going forward only 2 languages were consistently updated and the others remained in the status of a few versions behind. When Lingo was updated (to 9.0 and afterwards to 9.5) the consistently maintained languages did not cause any issues, since with each Lingo update we also had a product update for translation. However, with Spanish the difference was that we went from the project when it was created with 8.xx directly to 9.5 for the current update and that’s where the issue comes in. Although the project settings are correct (to be sure I had support check this), the package created did not contain a large number of files that had the status untranslated (although they were checked for inclusion). So basically, when a language is updated and in between a few Lingo updates came into place, you basically should go through and select the untranslated files and either add them before you create the bundle or create a second bundle with just these files (thats what I did). I then had them translated and then added them again via the merge function and the problem was solved.

To eliminate this issue alltogether, I added the following to my instructions for the vendors.

"After the bundle is created scroll through the file directory in the open Lingo project to make sure that there are no files left with the status Untranslated. If there are files with this status, highlight them and create a second bundle."

Its one of these weird bugs and it was an interesting challenge to figure it out.