Best Practices for Screen Captures per Translated Prj

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
damadeo
Propeller Head

Best Practices for Screen Captures per Translated Prj

Post by damadeo »

I am new to translating using Flare/Lingo. As I understand it, I need one Flare project per language. How are you managing screen shot libraries? I have two projects, with separate screen shot libraries for each. When our product is translated to French, we will have 4 projects: two for English and two for French. Is my only strategy to recapture all screen shots of the translated UI and create a new language-specific library to go with my language-specific Flare project?

This seems like so much 'redundancy' and maintenance.
Is anyone doing this? What is recommended for this situation? Are there any shortcuts I can make use of?
Thanks.
Uwe
Propeller Head

Re: Best Practices for Screen Captures per Translated Prj

Post by Uwe »

Damadeo,

this is an interesting challenge. The way we have managed it here at my work is very simple, and this might work for you. Besides minimizing the use of screen shots alltogether we also made it mandatory that there are no translatable items in any of our screenshots, therefore, we use the same screen shots for any language. If we have on occasion diagrams that are created in visio, they are localized and then inserted into the project.

If you have screenshots that require localization, then it becomes tricky because you would have to insert them at every release for each language and your solution is probably the only feasible one.