Multi-version migration

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
BobMerrill
Propeller Head

Multi-version migration

Post by BobMerrill »

Hi there,
I've done a lot of work for a company that embraced translation at one point, but it fell out of favor. They are now interested in resurrecting it on some level. Consequently, I have Lingo 7, but Flare 11.
I have newer versions of several Flare projects (many versions ahead of the translated projects). I have TMX files from all of the old translations. I'm thinking I should be able to apply the TMX files to the new projects and Bob will be my uncle. (Actually, I'm Bob, so I may be my own uncle.)
Does anyone have experience with this level of migration? Am I dreaming, or do you think this would be a reasonable place to start? I'm guessing about 80% of the material hasn't changed, with the possible exception of some branding phrases.
The translations were done between 2010 and 2013...
Thanks for any help or condolences.
Best,
Bob
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Multi-version migration

Post by doc_guy »

I think you ought to check with support to see if Lingo 7 can talk to a Flare 11 project and vice versa. I don't use Lingo, so I can't help much here, but I do believe that if you're using Flare 11 you may need a newer version of Lingo for all the strings to get recognized and translated. But again, I think that is a good question for MC Support
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Uwe Schwenk
Propeller Head

Post by Uwe Schwenk »

Bob,

depending on the answer from SUpport, here is something else to keep in mind which I did run into a few weeks ago in a similar scenario.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=26856

Uwe
Uwe Schwenk
L10N Coordinator
BobMerrill
Propeller Head

Post by BobMerrill »

Thanks, Uwe. That's very interesting, and gives me some insight.
FYI, Lingo 7 works fine with Flare 11, but it looks like my client is going to upgrade my software. We will be working with two translated languages, so it may not have been an issue, but it's good to know I can use multiple languages in the same project with the newer versions.