Translated Flare Project - want to move forward

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
BobMerrill
Propeller Head

Translated Flare Project - want to move forward

Post by BobMerrill »

I have a Flare project that has been translated. When I open it in Flare, I see the translation. I also have the associated TMX file. I don't appear to have the Lingo project.
I am having trouble seeing a way to get the Flare project into Lingo.
I'm probably missing something...
Thanks for any help at all.
Bob
MattyQ
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Translated Flare Project - want to move forward

Post by MattyQ »

Hi, Bob,

Did you originally send the Flare project from Lingo? That is to say, did you use Lingo to create a translation bundle? Or did you just send the Flare project itself to be translated?

You would only have a Lingo project if you created one originally before sending the project for translation.
BobMerrill
Propeller Head

Post by BobMerrill »

It looks like I just sent the Flare project.
Is there a path to using the existing translation? I've tried applying the TMX to a newer project, and it didn't appear to do anything (but at least it took a long time!)
MattyQ
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MattyQ »

BobMerrill wrote:...it didn't appear to do anything (but at least it took a long time!)
Sounds like the quintessential Lingo experience. ;)

But seriously, you may still be in an okay position. My offhand guess for why you didn't see anything is because the source for the segments in the TMX don't match the source segments in the Lingo project. That's not the end of the world, though. Once you've added the TMX to your Lingo project, you can open it up within the Lingo UI and actually browse through the segments.

I'd suggest testing the integrity of the TMX by finding a segment in your Lingo project that you can easily identify, and then, browsing the TMX (I believe it defaults to alphabetically organizing the segments), locate the corresponding segment so you can compare the differences in the source. The actual target/translated bit may be fine, and it's just Lingo can't find a good match.

Another possibility might be a mismatch in the language code. For example, if your translator returned the TMX with the translations marked for Portuguese (pt), but you created your Lingo project for Brazilian Portuguese (pt-Br), you likely wouldn't see those translations showing up in your new project. If that's the case, you can do stuff like changing the language code in the TMX to trick Lingo into importing it correctly.

If you're stuck, the manual way would be to copy each segment, one by one, from the TMX to the corresponding target segment in the actual topic/snippet/etc.

If you can identify the issue, we might be able to figure out if there's a tactical Find-and-Replace you can apply to your TMX to get Lingo to pick it up for your project. The manual way is a bummer.
BobMerrill
Propeller Head

Post by BobMerrill »

In fact, after looking more closely at the TMX, I realized that the source language was "English (United States". As soon as I changed it, I was able to import a current version (many versions past the TMX) and apply the TMX to it. So yes, the language code was wrong. I may also have had the wrong database selected in my first attempts. I find that part somewhat confusing, and I don't consider myself a particularly stupid person.
I'm computing statistics now (don't get me started on the amount of time it's taking. That's probably the biggest reason to upgrade, assuming it's been fixed.)
At any rate, I have a Lingo project that's using many translated segments from a previous version. That's definitely progress. In addition, my initial understanding that once you've translated the whole thing, you can apply those translations to other projects. That's pretty darned powerful. And yet I have to agree with my previous Spanish translator - he felt compelled to check every single topic if anything changed, even if it says nothing changed.
Thanks for your help!
Bob
MattyQ
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MattyQ »

Not a problem, Bob, glad that worked out!

As a quick trick, when you're browsing the Translation Memory, you could do a Ctrl+A to select all those segments, and copy/paste them over to the Spanish language (if that eases things for the future). But yeah, glad we got it back on track. =)