Lingo-to-Trados errors

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
jstangeland
Jr. Propeller Head

Lingo-to-Trados errors

Post by jstangeland »

We use Trados to work with our translators, but when we created a bundle in Lingo 10 and then opened that bundle as a new project in Trados (using the project creation wizard), Trados returned the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error for several files (at the Preparing Project screen). Looking at the files in Flare 12, I could find no common component that might cause an error. Since then, while running additional tests, files that initially came through the process okay are now returning the same error. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a different (and better) way to work with Lingo and Trados? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Uwe Schwenk
Propeller Head

Re: Lingo-to-Trados errors

Post by Uwe Schwenk »

Uwe Schwenk
L10N Coordinator
jstangeland
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jstangeland »

Thank you for the link, Uwe. I sent that same link to my localization colleague at the beginning of the month, but the information did not resolve our problems. Previously, we used Trados with a different authoring tool without incident for several years. We do not understand why Trados balks at files when they are in a Lingo bundle (when we exported the files from Flare and picked up the .htm files without using Lingo, Trados did not have problems). Because I know that other people are using Trados and Lingo together, I thought that someone might know of a special setting that is required.
Uwe Schwenk
Propeller Head

Post by Uwe Schwenk »

Which version of Trados is he/she using? I am using 2015 Pro SR2 and I dont have that issue. With Studio 2011 and 2014, I did occasionally run into this one, but that was a Trados issue. I am not using the MadCap file type anymore because for me that was the issue. Also, not meant to offend you, are you using the XLIff option when exporting from Lingo? I made that mistake myself before.
Uwe Schwenk
L10N Coordinator
jstangeland
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jstangeland »

Hi, Uwe. This is helpful, but I have a couple more questions:
When you say that you are not using the MadCap file type, to which part of the process are you referring?
When you say exporting, are you referring to creating the bundle to import into Trados or are you referring to exporting the translated files from Lingo back to Flare?
I really appreciate your help.
Uwe Schwenk
Propeller Head

Post by Uwe Schwenk »

To answer your questions.

First of all for the MadCap File type, please disregard. My brain went south. The MadCap File type available for SDL Studio is only used when we dont use Lingo.
When I refer to exporting, it was meant when you create the Bundle since you have 2 options (The XLiff option and the creating the Lingo Project Bundle). I did once accidentrally create a lingo project bundle and attempted to handle this through Trados.

HTH
Uwe Schwenk
L10N Coordinator