project size limitations?

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
felipe
Jr. Propeller Head

project size limitations?

Post by felipe »

Hi everyone,

We're testing Flare/Lingo and I'm running into some performance slow downs when creating projects for our largest books. I'm seeing over 250,000 words by one estimate and am not sure if this is very large for Lingo to handle. I've only been able to try with one language so far, but have seen things like my mouse moving slowly at times like the computer is thinking. I don't want this thing to crash on export or be incomplete or something. I've tried adding another language to this large project and the progress bar didn't move for hours.

Has anybody else experienced this or know what are the size limits of Lingo projects? It shouldn't be my PC, 8GB of memory for a 32 bit application is plenty. I do have the evaluation license but I didn't see anything about a limited version.
Uwe Schwenk
Propeller Head

Re: project size limitations?

Post by Uwe Schwenk »

Felipe,

most of the limitations will depend on your computer. Case in point I just completed two 700K plus words projects. I have a 64 bit machine with 16 GB RAM and I did not run into an issue yet.
Uwe Schwenk
L10N Coordinator
felipe
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by felipe »

Thanks Uwe, that's good to hear. Just curious, how many languages do you have for the single large project?
Uwe Schwenk
Propeller Head

Post by Uwe Schwenk »

Felipe,

I cant really go into too much detail here but what I can tell you is that I am handling currently up to 24 languages depending on the project. Lets just say I have a rather large SQL environment for translation set up.
Uwe Schwenk
L10N Coordinator
pelikano
Propeller Head

Post by pelikano »

I am testing Lingo. My machine is 64 bit and has 8 GB of RAM.

Lingo is freezing, or at least incredibly slow. Leave it alone long enough and it eventually loads the project.

Can anyone provide realistic guidelines for the system requirements (NOT the official ones).

For those that run Lingo successfully, what system setup is working for you?

Thanks
P