Terminology management tools plus Lingo?

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
simona
Propeller Head

Terminology management tools plus Lingo?

Post by simona »

Is anyone using Lingo for translations while managing the terminology (and related workflows) in a separate database? We might have to do that and are wondering which terminology databases work well, i.e. offering the possibility to export tbx basic format to import into Lingo. Any recommendations?
Flare 2023 r3, Capture 7
TechWriter with 10+ years Flare experience (software)
99% remote
Uwe Schwenk
Propeller Head

Re: Terminology management tools plus Lingo?

Post by Uwe Schwenk »

Simona,

thats a tricky one. I am using Passolo for software translations and create the software glossaries from there. I create them in Excel (I know its not a terminology solution per se) but based on the way I am set up the software translations are finalized when we get them back. I am using Excel because Excel can be tied into SDL Stduio 2015 so the translators have that available when translating the accompanying helps and docs. At the same time I am also creating the Lingo termbases and Import the spreadsheets into these termbases. In this manner I have all angles covered and the termnilogy is the same throughout

HTH
Uwe Schwenk
L10N Coordinator
simona
Propeller Head

Post by simona »

Thanks, Uwe. We are actually still considering Excel as well, precisely because it is easy to set up, handle and to import/export. But exchanging a centrally maintained excel file across departments to build and maintain terminology does strike me as somewhat anachronistic, especially considering that I will likely be the one to maintain it. 8)

We have at least 3 people who work in different locations (Germany, US) and would like to collaborate on decisions regarding terms and their administrative status (e.g. obsolete, preferred). Once these decisions are reached I would very much like to document them. Also I would like to enable coworkers in all departments to lookup terminology for themselves so that they can use the right terms. It is, of course, possible to have them search in an excel file, but terminology isn't exactly the kind of thing people think about first. The easier it is for them to look up terms the more likely they are to actually do it. There are so many terminology management tools out there promising more ease of use and better searchability. It is very tempting to go all the way and select and implement a proper tool - if only I could limit the number of options I evaluate to those that would work well within a MadCap Flare/Lingo workflow.

Does anyone else have any experience at all with maintaining terminology outside of Lingo while using Lingo for translations? Positive or negative?
Flare 2023 r3, Capture 7
TechWriter with 10+ years Flare experience (software)
99% remote
Uwe Schwenk
Propeller Head

Post by Uwe Schwenk »

Simona,

like I stated in my post, I am set up in a very specific way so Excel is for my purposes perfect. However, based on your post this is probabyl not for you based on the effort involved for you. Since you want to include other personnel from the company I would go ahead and contact MadCap to see what they can come up with.

In the meantime, since Excel is still being considered here is a link that might help. http://xenotext.blogspot.com/2009/03/lo ... ement.html. It approaches it differently.

HTH
Uwe Schwenk
L10N Coordinator