How can I solve mtype=protected?

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
Aron
Propeller Head

How can I solve mtype=protected?

Post by Aron »

Hi everyone,

Our translating-agency received some XLIFF-files of a document we sent them last week. We've got an answer back from them that some sentences are 'locked for editing' and contain the mtype 'Protected'.

It's weird because in the past we'd never had troubles with these files. We've updated the Flare-template a couple of weeks ago, but this can't be the problem, or can it?

Does anybody know how to:
  • - Remove these "mtype=protected" tags?
  • - What the problem actually is?
I'd be eternally grateful for any answer, thanks in advance!
paintedturtle
Propeller Head

Re: How can I solve mtype=protected?

Post by paintedturtle »

Aron wrote:Hi everyone,

Our translating-agency received some XLIFF-files of a document we sent them last week. We've got an answer back from them that some sentences are 'locked for editing' and contain the mtype 'Protected'.

It's weird because in the past we'd never had troubles with these files. We've updated the Flare-template a couple of weeks ago, but this can't be the problem, or can it?

Try this: http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare ... ements.htm
Someone might have accidentally clicked a lock for editing button.

~Sarah
Technical Writer using and experimenting with Flare version 12.0.5991.
Aron
Propeller Head

Post by Aron »

paintedturtle wrote:
Aron wrote:Hi everyone,

Try this: http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare ... ements.htm
Someone might have accidentally clicked a lock for editing button.

~Sarah
Thanks for the answer, but apparently this is not the case :cry:

We've received back those files - translated - and put them in Lingo. But now, we get this error: 'The XLIFF in this file is not valid - malformed XLIFF file.'

So probably our two problems are connected, right? But can we find the answer to our problems in Flare, or in Lingo? I suppose it's no CSS-problem (is that even possible?) but beyond that, we're startled.
Uwe Schwenk
Propeller Head

Post by Uwe Schwenk »

Aron,

this might not be a lingo or a flare issue. This might be language- and/or output-related. Could you let me know what the languages involved are and what the output is supposed to be (HTML, PDF?)
Uwe Schwenk
L10N Coordinator
jlourash
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jlourash »

Aron,

Beginning with Lingo 10, we now use an mtype="protected" to protect whitespace between sentences. This is not a Lingo-specific workflow, the localization industry is moving in this direction. Most up-to-date translation tools should recognize the protected segment and work around it. Do you know which translation tool your translation agency is using? I did run into a case where a customer's translator was using an older version of Trados and could not process the files containing protected segments. When the translator upgraded to Trados 2015, they were able to translate the XLIFF files without issue.

-Jon