Partial translation?

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
t90fpe
Jr. Propeller Head

Partial translation?

Post by t90fpe »

Hi, can I do partial translation of the source in Lingo, i.e only run the translation process on certain files?

I do have a fairly large project with source language in english i Flare, some of the files need to be translated. Along with that I do have a Lingo project and a TM for the whole project in Lingo.
In Lingo when I do a refresh from the source project in Flare or when I puch "Translate project with flare" all files on the Lingo prpject gets translated from my TM but I only want to process some files.

Then some may say, why don't you just make a Lingo project with the files needed to be translated? I use Lingo later to export a Flare project that I build as usual so I want everything to be in there.

With Best Regards,
Fred
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Partial translation?

Post by cdschroeder »

Hi Fred! I'm not aware of a way to apply the TM to only a few files in the project. But it sounds like you could mimic sending/receiving a translation bundle. To do this, import the full project into Lingo, then use the Create Bundle function to export only the files you want translated. Close your original project, then use Lingo to unpack and open the bundle. Translate the bundle with your TM, then export it back out (as a bundle). Re-open your original project, then merge the translated bundle. Export the full project to Flare.

If there is an easier way to do what you are asking, I haven't found it yet. But hopefully this at least gives you a workaround!
Casey