Headers, indexes and variable definitions

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
Babs
Jr. Propeller Head

Headers, indexes and variable definitions

Post by Babs »

I have apparently stumbled upon a bug in Lingo 10. It involves the inclusion of variable definitions in header elements and keyword definitions.
If a header element contains a variable definition, the translation in the header segment is not exported to Flare. I can work around this by removing keywords and name tags from the header and placing them in a paragraph (either new, thus leaving a blank line, or an existing paragraph as long as it contains more than one variable itself) below the header.
A similar problem arises in keywords themselves. If a keyword contains a variable definition it is not converted correctly and becomes a chinese character on export (or preview). This can be generally corrected, but not always, by using the same procedure as above.
Our multi-target Flare project has 5000 topics. Many of these are affected by this problem. It is therefore not possible to workaround the problem manually and anyway, it involves making changes to the source topics which must be reverted asap. Plus the workaround is not watertight; there are a number exceptions.
Has anyone experienced these problems and can offer temporary solutions whilst support and the dev team brood over them in the meantime?

Example including both issues:
<h1 id="CIHBHFGH" uid_xml="C21BC455-ADB8-4895-9D77-E9D947C33851"><a name="C21BC455-ADB8-4895-9D77-E9D947C33851"></a>
<MadCap:keyword term="[%=ProductVarSet.ProductName%]:Datenmodell;[%=ProductVarSet.ProductName%] Schema" />Datenmodell des <MadCap:variable name="ProductVarSet.ProductName" /></h1>

In this example, the phrase "Datenmodell des " is not translated although the translation exists in the xlf file and the variable in the keyword is converted to a chinese character.

Much obliged for any advice,
Barbara

P.S. Flattening is not an option. This all worked fine in Lingo 9.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Headers, indexes and variable definitions

Post by SteveS »

Have you lodged the bug with Madcap?

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs.aspx

Not using Lingo myself that's about all I can add...
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Babs
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Headers, indexes and variable definitions

Post by Babs »

The bug has been with support and was escalated some weeks ago. Still no fix...That's why I though I'd give the forum a go.