How to translate only a part of a Flare project

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
okonvick
Propeller Head

How to translate only a part of a Flare project

Post by okonvick »

Hi,

I have a Flare A project which imports another Flare project B (flare project B acts as a repo of topics and mini TOCs shared across multiple projects). Project B is kind of big and it is not fully translated yet.

I imported project B into project A because of just a few topics (let's say 20), however project B includes about 150 topics in total, so when I create a Lingo project based on project A, it has 150+ files while I need just 25 of them to be translated.

Question: Is it possible to make a Lingo project of only a part of the Flare project? (the part means those 25 topic files that I actually need)

Question: Is my workflow correct in terms of project B acting as a repo or are you handling differently? I know I can split project B into several smaller projects, but that's not very elegant either.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Re: How to translate only a part of a Flare project

Post by techwriter31 »

Could you export only the content you need (based on target, condition, etc.) and then use the exported Flare project as the source for the Lingo project? This is what we do when we only need to translate a subset of content in a project. I tend to export based on target as it includes everything needed to generate the target in the exported project. I don't usually export based on condition unless we need to translate multiple small documents from the same project. When exporting based on condition, only files with the condition applied are exported, so it may exclude certain files like variable sets, targets, etc.
Kellie
okonvick
Propeller Head

Re: How to translate only a part of a Flare project

Post by okonvick »

That is an excellet advice, thank you! :madcap: