I've accidently overwritten my Flare project

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
Jr. Propeller Head

I've accidently overwritten my Flare project

Post by 3121 »

Hey folks,

I'm currently working on a en-US Flare project which I have to translate to de-DE.

I did the dumbest thing.

I exported my Lingo project but accidently overwrote the Flare (source) project. So then I had two de-DE projects. Luckily it's just around 20 topics but still... I then made a copy of the now de-DE (former source) project and translated it inside Flare, making sure that the language was set to en-EN, globally and for each topic. Well, there's a language flag in the top-left corner of each topic and snippet now, and some parts of the skin seem to be in de-DE.

So my question is if this will even work? And how can I link the project to my Lingo project, or do I have to translate it again to de-DE?!

Oh boy.

Any help is appreciated!
Thank you.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: I've accidently overwritten my Flare project

Post by Nita Beck »

Sorry that I am about to ask the obvious: Do you have a backup? Is the project in source control so that you can get a fresh copy from the repo? Is the project stored on a network drive that gets backed up regularly?
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by 3121 »

Hi Nita,

no, of course I don't have a backup, why would I? Just jokin.

We had turned the source control off for the day to do some testing. Well, I gueass that counts as a test.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Can you recover from an older version in source control, only losing one day?

Does your source control copy to a local repository? If so, is the repository included in your normal backups (bad practice I know, but in this case it might work in your favour). Right click the folder, select Properties and activate the Previous Versions tab. If you're lucky...
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.