Lingo Exporting to Another Lingo Project Instead of Flare

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
maddyp
Jr. Propeller Head

Lingo Exporting to Another Lingo Project Instead of Flare

Post by maddyp »

I'm having an issue with exporting my translated Lingo project to Flare. Lingo keeps exporting to another Lingo project. Any ideas of what might be going on?
Uwe Schwenk
Propeller Head

Re: Lingo Exporting to Another Lingo Project Instead of Flar

Post by Uwe Schwenk »

I suggest to contact support on this one, because that's very weird.
Uwe Schwenk
L10N Coordinator
sdriggars
Propeller Head

Post by sdriggars »

This is happening to me, also. Recently upgraded to 10.1. Will be contacting support.
--Stephen
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

sdriggars wrote:This is happening to me, also. Recently upgraded to 10.1. Will be contacting support.
I've seen this happen when accidentally exporting from a bundle instead of the source (i.e. you created a new project > exported files to a bundle for translation > translated bundle > attempted to export from bundle instead of reintegrating it back into the original project).

When you export from a bundle, it can only export to a Lingo project because the Lingo project was its source. But if you integrate the bundle back into the source Lingo project, then export the source project, you will have your translated Flare project.
Casey

sdriggars
Propeller Head

Post by sdriggars »

Thanks, Casey. Support confirmed this.

"This is occurring because the copy of the project that you are attempting to export from is not the original project. It is not possible to export to the original source from an liprjzip copy of the original project."

In my case, the translator sent me a third-party zip file of their Lingo project (and not a Lingo-created translation bundle file) and I was trying to use that version to create the Flare export.

It seems like it should display a message at some point to tell you that you can't export from Lingo to Flare from project that is not the Lingo original project, but that shouldn't be a common workflow, either. If it's uncommon, I tend to run into it! :)
--Stephen
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

sdriggars wrote: It seems like it should display a message at some point to tell you that you can't export from Lingo to Flare from project that is not the Lingo original project, but that shouldn't be a common workflow, either. If it's uncommon, I tend to run into it! :)
Yeah, I was confused as well the first time I ran into it. I'm now very careful to keep backups of all source projects, because I find that more often than not, translators are unfamiliar with the Lingo workflow and end up exporting/copying/renaming something incorrectly along the way. Glad you got everything worked out! :)
Casey